Wellness

What Are Sleeping Disorders and How to Cope With Them

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MNSU chapter.

There are many forms of sleep disorders. Insomnia, sleep apnea, narcolepsy, and excessive sleepiness are some of the more popular sleep disorders. Insomnia is a recurring difficulty to fall or remain asleep. Sleep apnea is a breathing disorder that occurs due to blockage of the upper airway. People with sleep apnea often wake up choking or gasping for air. Heavy snoring is another common symptom. Narcolepsy is a sleep disorder that makes people feel excessively tired during the days despite getting a good night’s rest the previous night. Excessive sleepiness is defined by feelings of intense grogginess during the day that can compel people to sleep at bad times. 

Some symptoms of sleep disorders include that you take more than 30 minutes to fall asleep each night, you often wake up several times each night, you feel sleepy during the day, take frequent naps, you fall asleep at wrong times during the day, or often snore loudly when asleep. Sleep disorders are diagnosed through a medical exam that covers your medical history, your sleep history, and a physical exam Sometimes you have to go for a sleep study. A sleep study also known as a polysomnogram monitors and records data about your body during a full night of sleep. This data includes brain wave changes, eye movements, breathing rate, blood pressure, and heart rate. Sometimes you must stay for what’s called a nap study which may check how quickly you fall asleep during daytime naps and whether you are able to stay awake and alert during the day. Some good treatment options for sleep disorders are good sleep habits that need to be developed, using a CPAP machine for sleep apnea to help you breathe at night, bright light therapy in the morning, and medications including sleeping pills. 

How do I cope with them? 

I personally have three sleep disorders, sleep apnea, insomnia, and excessive sleepiness. I struggle daily. Without my medication, I don’t think I would be able to function. I take long-lasting adderall in the morning and in the afternoon I take fast acting adderall. It helps to keep me awake during the day. At night, I take a sleeping pill to help me fall asleep and stay asleep at night. I also use a CPAP machine to help breathe at night while I am sleeping. It kind of looks like an elephant nose. I love working with my sleep doctor and being able to control my sleep disorders. I also have a healthy bedtime routine that helps my sleep disorders stay at bay. 

If you any questions look up sleep disorders here

https://medlineplus.gov/sleepdisorders.html

Hi. My name is Priscilla Ann Pomeroy. I'm a senior here at MNSU and I'm 25 years old. I also have an ESA who is a cat named Wally. I few of the things I enjoy are Marvel, cats, NASCAR, journaling, Christmas, Disney, Star Wars, football, music, board games, game shows, Star Trek, Harry Potter, Winnie the Pooh, pop culture, Hot Topic, Funko Pops, Blue October, Avril Lavigne, Celine Dion, Wonder Women, Baby Yoda or the Child, Lane Bryant, The Little Mermaid, Moana, Cars, Pixar, Amazon, Chase Elliott (NASCAR), musicals, The Lion King, singing, and writing.