This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MNSU chapter.

This thought has been on my mind a lot lately especially as the new year has rolled around. I see a lot of articles, posts and books on the importance of showing up for yourself. Recently at the gym one of the older guys that talks to me regularly came up to me and was telling me about how there was a female firefighter from Minnesota that competed in a competition and was the ONLY female in it, was 22 years old and placed in the top five. He then told me, that I have that type of dedication to achieve something like that. I thanked him and we both went on with our day. BUT I did sit and ponder that thought for the rest of my workout. Why? Because although he may think I may just be really dedicated to going to the gym, each day I CHOOSE to show up for myself. I also CHOOSE to show up every other day I go work out for MYSELF. I don’t have anyone telling me to get up in the morning to go to the gym and I don’t have anyone telling me I need to do this or that. I simply choose to show up for myself and because I know if I want to live a healthy lifestyle, I MUST show up for myself! I am sure this female firefighter has the same mindset.

I am now rereading one of my favorite personal development books Girl, Wash Your Face by Rachel Hollis. In this chapter in particular I was reading; Rachel was going on about how she used to never show up for herself. She would show up for a day here and there. For example, she would say she would be going on a diet and last a couple days before falling into “cheat days.” She would commit to working out every morning before work and that would last a couple days before her bed would feel much too comfortable to leave in the morning resulting in no workout that day. She was constantly cancelling on herself and on what she dedicated to do. Now I don’t know about you BUT this chapter spoke to me so loudly. I used to be that way ALL the time. I would say I would want to get back into shape, would last a couple days at the gym, stop going for a bit and the cycle would start right back over again. This all changed though WHEN I STARTED TO SHOW UP FOR MYSELF. You wouldn’t constantly cancel on a friend if you had plans, right? So WHY keep cancelling on time for YOURSELF?

I challenge you all to start showing up for yourself. Whether that be in the gym, at work or in school, start treating yourself like a friend you would never cancel plans with. I PROMISE you once you consistently start showing up for yourself you not only will feel amazing about yourself BUT you will never go back.

Show up for yourself, girlfriend.

Kalli Steinberg

Minnesota '20

I am currently a senior at Minnesota State University - Mankato studying Business Marketing. I enjoy spending time with friends and family, being outside, running, working out and shopping.
I am senior at MNSU and am studying to get a degree in Marketing with a minor in Mass Media. I love cooking, being around friends and family, going on little adventures, and just having fun.