Meet Maren Werth: Role Model In and Out of the Weight Room

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MNSU chapter.

Most athletes here at MSU know Maren Werth. Not because she is the only female trainer in the weight room, but because she is passionate and talented at what she does. Pursuing a master’s degree while maintaining a graduate assistant position for the second year is a feat not many can upkeep, but Maren does both extremely well. She achieves respect not by yelling, but because every athlete she works with knows she truly cares about helping them realize their goals.

Name: Maren Werth

Hometown: Bloomington, MN

Expected Graduation Date: May 2016

Major/Minor: master’s in exercise physiology

Age: 24

Her Campus: Why did you decide Minnesota State was right for you?

Maren Werth: “When looking into graduate schools, I knew that I wanted to be close to home (in the twin cities). I attended Augustana College (now University) and MSU is about half way between home and all of my friends in Sioux Falls at Augustana. The exercise physiology program here at MSU is an amazing program that is ahead of its time as far as research and teaching goes. The professors here are incredible and have so much to offer us as students that it was an easy choice to make to come here. I also picked MSU because of the graduate assistant position I currently have. I am a graduate assistant in the Strength and Conditioning program for the second year here on campus. I am in charge of writing the weightlifting and conditioning programs for 7 teams. These teams include Dance, Volleyball, Swim and Dive, Men’s and Women’s cross-country, Softball and Tennis.”

HC: Why did you decided to study exercise physiology?

MW: “I chose to study exercise physiology because I really enjoy being active. Learning about how the body moves and why it moves is something that has helped me to become a better coach and also increase my knowledge in the field. Learning how to evaluate and apply research was also something that I was very interested in.”

HC: What activities are you involved with here at MNSU?

MW: “I am currently involved in intramural soccer! It’s nice to have the opportunity to keep playing soccer and get a chance to meet other students here on campus.”

HC: What is it like being the only female trainer in the weight room?

MW: “To be honest, I forget a lot of times that I am the only female coach down in the weight room! I really don’t notice and now that this is my second year coaching here, I think that the athletes have gotten used to having a female coach. The field of strength and conditioning is growing and the number of female coaches is accelerating very quickly as well. I know that I have enjoyed getting the chance to work with all of the different teams on campus and they have all helped me to grow as a coach and take my experiences with me as I pursue a full-time job after graduation this spring.”

HC: What would you say to a female who is insecure about entering a predominantly male field?

MW: “GO FOR IT! I think that if any person is passionate about working in a specific field that nothing should stop them from pursuing their dreams.”

HC: What are you most passionate about?

MW: “I am a very passionate person in all aspects of my life as I pour all of my time, effort and energy into what I am doing. As a friend, family member, athlete, musician, college graduate, coach and soon to be graduate with a master’s degree, I don’t think that I would be where I am today without that passion.”

HC: As a previous student athlete, do you have any advice for current athletes trying to balance school and athletics?

MW: “It’s tough! It definitely took me a little while to figure out time management with school, soccer and music. I would say though that it is definitely doable as long as you write everything down and plan out your days. Get a desk calendar or use your phone calendar all the time because it is inevitable that you will forget something if you don’t write it down. Prioritize your days, weeks and months especially when you are in season and are busy with travel, practices and games. Remember to take time off and have fun! You will be more productive and enjoy your collegiate experience more if you can learn to take time off and enjoy the years in college that you have!”

HC: What is your dream job after finishing school?

MW: “I would love to be able to continue to work with collegiate athletes, so whether that is in a college or private training location I want to help athletes achieve their goals. If I was able to be both a strength coach as well as an assistant soccer coach, I think that would be the best job ever!”

HC: Where would we find you on a typical Friday night?

MW: “Usually I am at home relaxing and watching a movie or Netflix! I am so exhausted by the end of the week that nothing sounds better than being at home!”

HC: What is your ideal lazy Sunday?

MW: “My idea lazy Sunday would be sleeping in until noon, making a big breakfast meal and spending the rest of the day watching movies or taking naps! Have to catch up on my sleep sometimes!”

HC: What’s your life mantra?

MW: “I don’t know if I would say that I have a life mantra, but I have a favorite quote that reminds me daily to keep pursuing the things that I love. “The things that you are passionate are not random, they are your calling.” –Fabienne Federickson

HC: How has MNSU impacted your life?

MW: “I think that MSU has impacted my life in many ways. The exercise physiology program has given me the chance to learn more and increase my knowledge about the subject and work toward attaining my master’s degree. All of my professors have been amazing and truly some of the best that I have ever had. They are so knowledgeable about the field and I can tell that they are passionate about sharing their love for the field. I also had the opportunity to study abroad and travel to South Africa to complete research as well as learn about history of the country.

The Athletic/ Strength and Conditioning program has given me the opportunity to learn more about being a strength coach and how to improve all types of athlete’s speed, strength and power. Working with the head strength coach Tommy Inkrott, as well as two different graduate assistants over the past two years has opened my eyes to all sorts of new training techniques, exercises and ways of coaching I’ve gained confidence in talking to large groups of people and also communicating with all areas of the sports world including media, athletic training staff as well as admission. I have had the opportunity to work on event management and planning. Learning how to attain sponsorships and plan a large fundraising event will also benefit my job experience in the future. I have so much to be thankful for and I am so happy that I have had this opportunity here at Minnesota State University, Mankato.”

Hello! I'm Abby and am a writer for Her Campus MNSU. I am in my third year here at Mankato and pursuing an accounting major. Outside of class, I play for the women's tennis team and enjoy going out with friends.