This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MNSU chapter.

By the time we turn 18, most of us are pretty thrilled to do one thing: vote.

Most of the time, we get more excited for Presidential election years than others. Midterm elections, on the other hand, seem to be less talked about and more people don’t seem to care what happens during these elections.

This year, however, it is highly important that everyone gets out there and votes! Elections this year have the chance to turn the tides for the Trump administration. According to bustle.com, only 58% of those that are eligible to vote, will actually cast ballots in this year’s election. Meaning, that 42% of voters will not get a chance to have their voice heard.

If you feel as though your voice is not being heard within your community, now is the time to vote in a member of congress that you feel represents you and your values best. This change could allow a representative to better show what you need from the whole of the government.

From bustle.com, it was said that “Republicans need to gain nine more seats to hit the filibuster-proof 60-seat threshold that would enable them to pass legislation without Democratic support.” For the Democrats this could be life altering when it comes to legislations like gay rights or Roe v Wade. Democrats, on the other side, will only need to fill three more seats in order to gain control.

It may be hard to know where to go when looking to register to vote. This website makes it easy for anyone and everyone to register to vote. If you are a first-time register, follow the first prompts on the screen by selecting where you live. From there, it will tell you when the deadline is to register by and how to do so. Every state is different, so pay close attention to when that is.

Please, make sure to do your part this election season and make your voice heard. If you are able, please register and get to the polls.

Happy Voting!

Currently, a fifth year student at MNSU, Mankato majoring in History with a minor in Psychology. Self proclaimed Netflix and coffee addict with a passion for writing. 
Hannah is a Junior at Minnesota State University, Mankato and one of the Campus Correspondents for the HC MNSU chapter. She is currently double majoring in Marketing and Business Management with a Minor in Entrepreneurship and Innovation.