Declaring Your Major: There’s not an App for that

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MNSU chapter.

College can be stressful, and we’ve all heard it before. Classes get harder, life gets busier, ramen noodles taste better (or at least we tell ourselves they do), the freshman 15 is all too real, and there’s nothing worse than paying your tuition bill and rent in the same week. One thing that gets left out of this list of chaos in collegiettes’ lives though, is the stress of not having direction. 

A lot of collegiettes are in the same boat when coming to college. There is so much confusion revolving around life and how to survive on your own, but with time it gets easier and you’ll find out that doing your own laundry really isn’t that bad. Although living on your own can be intimidating, you’ll quickly find that it might not be the biggest of your issues. One thing that I really struggled with my freshman year was finding passion in school. It’s hard to pull yourself out of bed for intro to politics at 8am when you don’t know what you’re working towards.

Not having a declared major was one of the most stressful parts of my freshman year. Everyone always says not to worry about choosing a major and that it’s okay because you’ll change your mind a million times anyways. But what if you don’t have a starting point? I didn’t have a starting point and quite honestly, I was running out of “gen eds” to take.

I came into my freshman year undeclared and completely undecided. I almost didn’t go to school because I had no idea what I wanted to do. If that’s where you’re at, STAY IN SCHOOL. There’s no better place to find yourself than in college. Not only will you learn everything from Newton’s Second Law to the correct font size to write your resume in, but you will also learn so much about yourself. You might not find your career calling right away, but that’s okay because things will work themselves out eventually.

MNSU is full of advisors and programs to help students find the right path. There are first year experience classes to expose you to various majors, minors, and career paths. The Career Development Center has an abundance of resources as well. The best thing collegiettes can do though, is to get involved on campus. There are so many groups and organizations on campus that bring people together. Not only will you meet new people, but you never know when opportunities will arise. We aren’t called the “Mav Fam” for nothing. MNSU is truly a community in itself that welcomes anyone and everyone, and honestly there is nothing better than that. For now, don’t stress about finding an end destination for your college years, just enjoy the footsteps that will get you there. 

Sara Tribby, usually known as Tribby, is a junior at Minnesota State University, Mankato. She is pursuing a degree in communication studies with a minor in human resource management. Sara is originally from Prior Lake and loves spending time outdoors doing anything from boating on the lake in the summer, to deer hunting in the fall. Her guilty pleasure is binge watching One Tree Hill late at night. Sara enjoys writing for Her Campus because it allows her to be creative and express her ideas all while connecting with other girls on campus.