Wellness

Why I Am Going to Stop Stressing Over Instagram

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MMM chapter.

As I’m sure we’re all aware, Instagram can consume every aspect of our lives. Whether you use it to post pictures for fun with your friends, as a creative outlet, or to run your business, this one app has managed to not only become multipurpose but also the point of conversation on a variety of topics such as influencers, mental health, and separating what is real life and one’s online persona (if there is a major difference between the two). When you stop and think of Instagram’s versatility, it’s truly amazing how we as a society have given so much power to a photo/video sharing application on our phones. From #FOMO (fear of missing out) to constantly comparing ourselves to others and stressing over minute details in our aesthetics (all three things which I’ve certainly felt before, if not daily). I’ve realized that there are many different layers to social media stress. 

Along with these situations, and many others that I haven’t mentioned, is the need to constantly be “logged on” and “in communication” that the platform renders. I saw a photo recently that said, “social media is still an energy exchange….if you are wondering why you’re exhausted all the time”. Once I read that statement I realized just how true it is. With social media being so present in our daily lives, which are already busy and consuming enough, it’s no wonder that we’re exhausted by the end of the day. The constant communication online, I’ve found, can be just as tiring as constantly communicating in real life. So if it’s tiring and a little stressful at times, why do I keep using the app? Or better yet, why don’t I change the way I’m using the app?

To answer these questions, after having realized these points, I’m going to make a conscious effort moving forward to not stress out over Instagram anymore. For myself, I’ve found that this outlet that’s supposed to be a source of creativity has become a space of constant comparison, and I’m tired of this cycle. I want to reclaim control over the app by following less accounts overall, and focus on those that inspire me, being less strict with my feed’s aesthetic, and, the biggest change, taking pictures in the moment then setting my phone aside and truly enjoying where I am presently. I feel that by implementing these habits I’ll not only feel more inspired when I do use Instagram, but I’ll also start truly enjoying where I am, and who I’m with, without feeling the need to always be “logged on”. At the end of the day it’s just a photo/video sharing app, and I think I need to remind myself of that more often.

Olivia Marrone is a senior at Marymount Manhattan College, majoring in Business with a concentration in Fashion Marketing & minoring in Digital Journalism. Marrone's writing primarily focuses on fashion & lifestyle journalism, with concentrations in style inspiration, social media & life in New York City. Along with writing, she is also passionate about photography, fashion, art, & traveling. She is currently based in New York City.        
Campus Correspondent. English Literature major, Digital Journalism minor and NYC based dancer/singer.