This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MMM chapter.

One of the greatest gifts I have ever received is a nifty little kitchen gadget. It’s called the Veggie Spiralizer and trust me, it is a game changer.

Whether you eat a plant based diet or are just looking to get a few more veggies into your weekday meals, this tool makes it easy to turn ordinary vegetables into spiralized, noodle-type vehicles for sauces soups and more. You can use a variety of vegetables like zucchini, carrots, and cucumbers – my favorites – for “pasta” type dishes, or root vegetables like beets, sweet potatoes, or turnips for a quick side dish. Because the spiralized veggies will be thin, they’re perfect for an on the go meal that you can sauté, roast, or fry in no time. On top of all the fun meal possibilities, it is also super simple to use. All you have to do is just clean and peel your veggies, place them onto the blade of the spiralizer, and you’re good to go! One of my favorite recipes to make is zucchini and carrot “pasta” with a homemade lentil tomato sauce, a perfect meal for anyone looking for a hearty, healthy meal!  See below for some pictures of the sprializing process!

After you’ve cleaned your veggies, they’re all set to be spiralized. Here’s what they’ll look like before you start cooking. Since both vegetables have a fairly high water content, it’s a good idea to rest them on some paper towels to absorb some on the extra liquid before popping them in the pan.

Once you’ve removed some of the moisture from the veggies, hit ‘em with a little Emeril Lagasse “Bam!” action with some salt and pepper before throwing them in a preheated pan with a little olive oil.

You’ll only need to keep the veggies in the pan for a few minutes, any longer than that whatever water is left in the vegetables will begin to make your noodles a little less “al dente” and little more “al mush-y.” Once you think they look ready, take them off the heat and plate with the sauce of your choice.

With this little gadget you’ll be left with a colorful plate of healthy goodness and are sure to feel like you’re ready to be the next Chopped Champion.

Communication Arts and Dance student in NYC. Interests include the arts, The Office, and anything with sprinkles. 
Campus Correspondent at HC MMM. Communications student in NYC.  Instagram: @sara.capucilli