United Nation’s 70th Anniversary

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MMM chapter.

The United Nations is celebrating their 70th Anniversary! In its honor we have United Nations Day (October 24th), which is devoted to making people aware of the aims and achievements of the United Nations Organization. United Nations Day is part of United Nations Week, which runs from 20 to 26 October.

The United Nations General Assembly, commonly known as the UN, is an intergovernmental organization that promotes international cooperation and world peace. It was established in 1945 after World War II to prevent further conflicts. The organization is headquartered here in New York City. There are 193 member states and two observer states. The official languages of the UN are English, Arabic, Spanish, French, Russian and Chinese. The organization is financed by assessed and voluntary contributions from its member states. Its objectives include maintaining international peace and security, promoting human rights, fostering social and economic development, protecting the environment, and providing humanitarian aid in cases of famine, natural disaster, and armed conflict.

According to the UN, “The 70th anniversary of the United Nations is an opportunity to reflect – to look back on the UN’s history and take stock of its enduring achievements. It is also an opportunity to spotlight where the UN – and the international community as a whole – needs to redouble its efforts to meet current and future challenges across the three pillars of its work: peace and security, development, and human rights.” The UN frequently hosts speakers and presentations, having emergency meetings when urgent matters arrive and debating every kind of topic that pertains to a country. On the wall inside the building there is a great quote by activist and humanitarian, Malala Yousafzai, where she spoke at the UN and said, “One book, one pen, one child and one teacher can change the world.” Malala has also proclaimed, “Let us make our future now, and let us make our dreams tomorrow’s reality.”

Take a trip over to First Avenue and East 43rd street to visit the UN. It’s situated on the East River with fantastic views. A variety of countries flags can be seen in the front of the building.

Katie Gray

Marymount

Katie Gray. Marymount Manhattan College. Double Major: Communications & Media Arts and Business with a concentration in Entrepreneurship. Double Minor: Journalism and Fashion Studies. Personal Website: www.xoxokatiegray.com Social Media: @xoxokatiegray
Jessica Norton, 22, Communication Arts major / Journalism minor at Marymount Manhattan College in New York City. Pop Writer at MTV News. Creator and host of YouTube show of Camera By Her Side. Former Editorial intern at Us Weekly magazine, Features Entertainment & Lifestyles Intern at Seventeen Magazine, Assistant Team Advisor at NSLC Journalism, Film, and Media Arts, and Alloy Entertainment Digital Intern. I love yoga, traveling, pop culture, froyo, the beach, boy bands, bright colors, and lemonade. @jessnort || @camerabyherside