This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MMM chapter.

We all have our favourite musical artists, the ones we listen to on a daily basis or the ones we treasure for the fact that we “found” them before they got popular. Even though we have artists we love, most of us are always on the lookout for new artists, new tunes and new lyrics to scream with our friends. These 5 artists should be on your radar big-time in 2020; they might just be dropping a new album, becoming a bigger star, or they’re just a mega talent: 

UMI

This rising star is only 19 years old and has a discography of incredible songs such as “High School,” “Butterfly,” “Remember Me,” and “Midnight Blues.” UMI, or Tierra Wilson who goes by her middle name UMI which means ‘Ocean’, is an up-and-coming R&B artist with low light vibes and a sound unlike any other. 

Mk.gee

Mk.gee, pronounced McGee, is an alternative artist known for tunes such as “You”, “Roll With The Punches”, “Come On (You Know That I’m a Fool)”, and “Over Here”. His music ranges anywhere from funky psychedelic to guitar indie and always sounds like something you’d hear in an Urban Outfitters and pull out age-old Shazam for. 

NIKI

This artist is a true R&B soul. She came out with a new EP in late 2019 titled wanna take this downtown? which is any soul listeners wet dream. Older works include her Zephyr album with incredible, indecisive tracks such as “Dancing With The Devil” and “Newsflash!”. Watch out for her this year; she might become a household name. 

girl in red

Marie Ulven, otherwise known as girl in red, is a 20-year-old bedroom indie pop singer from Norway. Her music is a gentle push to understanding your own mind, depression and insecurities. 

Victoria Monet

If you’re more into the pop side of things, Monet’s got ya covered. Being the BFF of everybody’s lover, Ariana Grande, Monet is easily going places. Having a voice of pure gold, she’ll make sure she gets there. 

Everybody has a different taste in music, but these artists are sure to please anybody, stimulating all of your senses. And if you’re not into my all girls list, as an extra perk, I give you Claud, the non-binary sweetheart of music. Give them a listen, you won’t be disappointed. 

MMC second-year senior, Venus Rising Blog owner and fashion journalist with a focus on sustainability.
Campus Correspondent. English Literature major, Digital Journalism minor and NYC based dancer/singer.