mink mingle AlEyuIKuSmc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
mink mingle AlEyuIKuSmc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Summer in the City Survival Guide: Those Last Few Weeks Before Fall Hits

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MMM chapter.

We’ve reached that time of the year- summer is coming to an end and classes are back in our daily schedule. What a time to be alive!

Summer was all fun and games. We only had to worry about looking cute for that dinner date or what time we wanted to head to the park with friends. Summer is for living carelessly and only having to worry about getting a tan. Now we have to forget about that summer fling and evening drinks to focus on school and all of the assignments that professors LOVE to send in the first week of classes.

Summer may be over, but that does not mean that it’s warm temperatures have gone away. The first few weeks of school are often met with a heat wave. The city humidity messes with your body in all sorts of ways, so on top of managing new syllabi, you also have to try to tame your hair and avoid sweating.  Right before starting the semester, we all have the same thought that crosses our minds (or at least I do) “Maybe there are going to be some cute new guys or girls in my class”. You want to be on your A-game to fulfill these beginning of semester hopes, so here are some tips for managing the heat in the first few weeks back at school:

Hair

The hardest thing to do during summer is control our bodies and how they react to heat!

To prevent frizzy or dry hair, use a good conditioner and moisturize hair at least once a week. There are many deep conditioning masks in the pharmacy and online like Eva NYC Therapy Sessions Hair Mask  or  Garnier Fructis Smoothing Treat 1 Minute Hair Mask

If you’re on a budget, there are amazing recipes you can easily make at home or in the dorms! Check them out:

Avocado and Honey Hair Mask

Ingredients:

1 medium-sized avocado

2 tablespoons honey

With only two ingredients, this mask has amazing moisturizing and softening properties that will add shine and prevent hair loss. To make, simply mash the avocado into a fine puree, then stir in the honey. Let the mask sit for 15-20 minutes to fully absorb into your hair. It also works as a great scalp treatment, so make sure to massage the mixture into your roots to promote stimulation. (prettygossip.com)

Coconut Oil and Honey Hair Mask

Ingredients:

1/2 cup melted coconut oil

1/2 cup honey

1/4 cup apple cider vinegar

Together, these ingredients have antibacterial and antioxidant properties to promote a healthy scalp, while also keeping your hair hydrated (but not weighed down). Microwave the coconut oil to met it, then mix the ingredients together to avoid separation, and leave on hair for up to 30 minutes. (madincrafts.com)

Beauty

We all love the sunny weather and getting a tan, but we do not like all of the side effects that come with it (A.K.A sweating like a pig). To avoid feeling like your face is melting, try these easy tricks to keep looking bomb even during the hottest days!

Baking: This may seem like something only celebrities or makeup aficionados do, but you can still “bake”, or in other words, apply the right translucent powder (even with a bare face).

My go-to makeup routine for hot days involves only concealer, mascara, and bronzer. Before applying any makeup, prep the skin with any moisturizer or serum, then go ahead and conceal those dark circles or pimples that you want to cover up. Make sure to apply some translucent powder or banana powder that’s the right shade for you right on top of the concealer.

Leave it own it for a couple of minutes and then just blend it into your whole face with a big brush. Follow with bronzer or blush and some mascara and voilà!

When you’re done applying everything, make sure to set it with a setting spray or even a regular toner.

If you want to really dig into the baking technique check it out here

Leave the sweat for the gym

If you are one of those that practically breathes and starts sweating, I got you, girl! Our best friend until fall will be baby powder!

Before getting dressed apply some baby powder in the areas that you would like to control the sweat the most (Cough, cough… underboob) and you’ll see a major difference. Way more effective than deodorants! You can even use baby powder for your hair instead of dry shampoo. It helps to absorb oil and it’ll save you from having to wash your hair for another day or two.  You’re welcome.

When it comes to your face, oil absorbing sheets work great. A little-known secret is that the toilet seat cover that can be found in any public restroom works in the same way. You can keep a piece of it on your purse and save a couple of dollars.

The end of summer heat is inevitable, but with these tips, you won’t have to worry about the summer sweats cramping your back to school style!

Senior student at Marymount Manhattan College, passionate about digital marketing and new trends! Originally from Uruguay but living in the big apple, enjoying everything New York has to offer.
Campus Correspondent at MMM  Hey guys, I’m Kyra! I grew up in the small town of North Lake Tahoe and now I am going to college in the big city- New York City! It is such a dream come true to be living in New York! I love it so much! I am a Digital Journalism Major with a double minor in Fashion and Business Management.    Get in contact with me, I'd love to hear from you! Instagram: @kyramattson Blog: dream-catcher-blog.com