jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How To Take Study Breaks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MMM chapter.

Sometimes the stresses of college make you feel like you just want to scream and take a ten hour nap. There are weeks where you feel like you just want to throw all your textbooks out a window and give up. But rather than do that, I have composed a list of easy ways to cheer yourself up and give yourself a break, because in the words of Kris Jenner, “You’re doing great, Sweetie.”

1. Go get a fun snack. And yes, I do mean GO. Get out of the library, classroom, or bedroom you have been studying in for hours and go get a fun snack! This is a good excuse to get some fresh air and grab some sugar to keep you going until the work is done. My favorites include candy, Rice Krispy Treats, and muffins!

2. Use breaks as incentives. Tell yourself, “after every 20 pages I read or 10 problems I solve, I will give myself 10 minutes to check my phone or just lay on the floor.” It’s important to not overload your brain, or else you’ll become so overwhelmed you’re actually being less productive.

3. Order something online. We all know how exciting it is to order something online and then wait for it to arrive. It’s like surprising yourself with a present! My new favorite way to surprise myself is with a mystery bag from www.Inspiration.Fit. I just ordered a fall mystery bag, which means I got a bag containing four fall themed shirts (1 sweatshirt guaranteed, and then any combination of fitted tanks, loose tanks, or T-shirts). The best part is that it’s an actual surprise! I have no idea what I’ll be receiving which makes the waiting that much more exciting!

4. Watch something on YouTube that just makes you laugh. Whether that’s vine compilations, videos of people slipping, or animals being best friends, go watch some funny videos to lift your spirits!

5. Call somebody that lifts your spirits. For me, this is my mom or sister, but it could be anybody from a significant other to a childhood friend. Talking to somebody that can help you put things in perspective and make you smile can make all the difference.

Of course, there are so many more ways to give yourself a break, but these are some of my personal favorites! The bottom line is: sometimes it is important to take a step back and remember that this paper will not be the end of the world. Just keep working and you’ll get through it!

Hi loves, I'm Rachel and I'm a Sophomore musical theatre major at Marymount Manhattan College. I'm currently living out all my Gossip Girl dreams in the city and can't get enough of it. From Central Park to Broadway shows to pop up street fairs, there's always something fun to do here. Some fun facts about me are that I love fancy French cheeses, work in the shop building sets, dream of moving to Paris, and shamelessly follow pretty much every trash reality show that has ever been created. I also have 2 cats, adore Dirty Dancing, and love sour candy! Instagram: @rachelswedberg or for city pics @uptowndiaries
Campus Correspondent at MMM  Hey guys, I’m Kyra! I grew up in the small town of North Lake Tahoe and now I am going to college in the big city- New York City! It is such a dream come true to be living in New York! I love it so much! I am a Digital Journalism Major with a double minor in Fashion and Business Management.    Get in contact with me, I'd love to hear from you! Instagram: @kyramattson Blog: dream-catcher-blog.com