How To Stay Mindful As A College Millennial

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MMM chapter.

Do you ever find your mind wandering from one thought to the next, unable to concentrate?

As college students, we’re plagued with stress. Due dates, work, and busy social lives contribute to heightened stress levels day in and day out. But do you need stress? Can you control it? Oh yeah you can!

Stress is a thought. It’s your body’s way of telling you there’s a threat and it has no way to recognize if that threat is a lion chasing you or a negative balance in your bank account. (Why would a lion be chasing you anyway? I don’t know, I couldn’t think of any other examples.) But that’s the point! Whether stress is real or imagined, when you perceive something as stressful, it creates the same chemical response in your body. Try these easy tips for eliminating stress and enhancing mindfulness!

1. MEDITATE (with an app?)

Apps for meditation and mindfulness are a great tool to reduce stress. Taking 5-10 minutes a day to calm your mind and practice concentrating on a simple task, such as breathing, is essential.

Simple Habit and Headspace are two of the most popular meditation and mindfulness apps. They’re free and you if you have an iPhone you can download them in the app store. Browse specialized meditations for “Finding Happiness” and relieve anxiety with the “Before a Date” sessions.

2. EXERCISE

Exercise has direct stress-busting benefits. Physical activity boosts the production of endorphins, the brain’s “feel-good” neurotransmitters. If you’re short on time, try interval training for a powerful, intense workout. The immediate effects of exercise last hours in our bodies and overtime significantly help to reduce stress.

3. DIET

Eat that donut, but not everyday.

Ok, I’m guilty of this one too. I have a MAJOR sweet tooth. But, mindful eating can work magic in our bodies to reduce stress. Stress is connected to blood sugar and chronic stress raises insulin, changing metabolism and causing weight gain. Easier said than done, but cutting down on sugar can cut out hours at the gym and help alleviate stress. Dang, thanks mother nature for killing two birds with one stone.

In addition to these take a hot bath, go to a yoga class, get a massage, watch the sunset, make love, go for a walk, and last but not least, breathe.

Campus Correspondent at HC MMM. Communications student in NYC.  Instagram: @sara.capucilli