The Full Moon Ritual to Manifest Your Dreams

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MMM chapter.

Is your life feeling stagnant? Have you been wanting to try something witchy? A full moon ritual is the perfect way to dip your toe into the art of rituals and harness the energy around you in order to attract the things you want. I use a full moon as an opportunity to care for myself and set goals (manifest). Manifesting is the act of putting something you want into reality through thoughts, beliefs, and feelings. This has to do with the complicated Law of Attraction. Basically, the universe will match your frequency. What you put out, you will receive. Below you’ll find the steps I take when practicing a full moon ritual. So, if you’re ready to take the time to care for yourself, set goals, and invite your dreams into reality then keep reading!

Step 1: Cultivating a Sacred Space

It’s important to make your ritual space clean and cozy. This will allow you to be comfortable and get the full effect of the ritual. I like to clean my room, make my bed, and light a candle or turn on my oil diffuser. If I’m feeling particularly distracted or scattered I’ll add some white noise to pull my focus back to the task at hand.

Step 2: Stretching, Yoga, & Appreciating Your Body

Before I begin my moon ritual I take the time to stretch and appreciate my body. I’ll do some light yoga and focus on stretching my back, arms, legs, and opening up my chest. During this time I am reminded to be gentle with myself. Sometimes I’ll use mantras such as, “I love myself,” and “I love myself no matter what my body looks like,” because I am more than my shape. Stretching also helps to focus me and give me a better night of sleep after the ritual is complete.

Step 3: Journaling

This is the most involved portion of the evening. You can journal in any order that makes sense to you and feels the most beneficial to your growth. I’ll be covering the topics in the order that makes the most sense to me. I begin by writing down a messy list of all the things I’m grateful for in my life. This can be as simple as the Starbucks line being short or the sun coming out for five minutes on your walk to work. I like to take this opportunity to really unpack my days and find even the tiniest things to be grateful for. Once I’m finished with my list, I move onto how the last moon cycle affected me. Was this a great month for me? Did things feel particularly difficult? Were my relationships influenced? Did anything out of the ordinary happen? In this section, I also include things I want to release from my life. This could be body negativity, a toxic relationship, or a behavior that no longer serves you. Finally, I write down a list of things I want to manifest. For example, if you want good grades you would write, “I will have a 4.0 GPA this semester,” or “I have a 4.0 GPA this semester.” I prefer to write things as though I already have them. 

Journaling becomes easier the more you practice it. You will be able to let your writing flow and become hyper-focused on exactly what you want. Obviously, just writing that you want good grades will not result in you getting good grades. You still have to study like crazy and put the effort in to see the results you want. However, writing out your desires, setting goals, and putting your dreams into the world can yield positive results.

Step 4: Meditating and Visualizing

The final step of my moon ritual is to meditate and visualize the things I want to manifest. I usually close my eyes and focus all of my attention on my breathing. I try to allow my thoughts to flow freely through my mind without becoming stuck on them. This is another practice that becomes easier over time. Once I feel centered, I start visualizing what I had written down. I’ll visualize getting into the school of my dreams, making new friends, and moving into a new apartment for example. Ending my ritual with meditation and visualization allows me to focus my energy towards my goal and bring my mind to a place of peace and quiet.

Pro Tip: don’t forget that the light of a full moon will cleanse your tarot cards and charge your water, crystals, and any other items you may want to use in rituals and spells!

Journaling and manifestation have improved my mental health and way of life. I am able to focus on what I want and set goals for myself. I can think clearly and know that my dreams are in the making. It gives me a routine and teaches me self-discipline. And, above all, it makes me happy! If you’re in need of clarity and joy, give this moon ritual a try!

Bretny Seamon

Marymount '22

Bretny Seamon is a psychology major with a minor in drama therapy. She has a love for cats, bagels, planners, the color pink, and sounding like a total cliche. Hoping to be Elle Fanning when she grows up. Follow her shenanigans on Instagram @bretnymichelle!