books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

8 Reasons Why Google Docs Is Bae

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MMM chapter.

With the end of the semester quickly approaching your agenda is probably filled with final exams, group projects, and last minute assignments that need to be completed ASAP. It’s crunch time and there really aren’t enough hours in the day to get it all done.

Google Docs/Google Drive can be your best friend during this time, or any time, of the semester. Here are some ways you can make use of all of it’s wonderful capabilities and hopefully it will help you out with any of your final assignments!

1) Google Drive/Google Docs is free!!!You are given 15GB of free storage to share across Google Drive, Gmail, and Google Photo.

2) Google Drive allows you to make more than just text documents.You can create slideshows, spreadsheets, forms, drawings, maps, and share photos.

3) Google Drive saves room on your computer.If you’re anything like me, your computer is probably filled to capacity with various files — everything from Microsoft Word documents and PowerPoint slides to videos and mp3 files from iTunes. Saving files to Google Drive will give your computer a little break. (Totally reccommend purchasing an external hard drive at some point, though!)

4) You can collaborate with others.Group projects are literally the WORST. Google Drive allows you to collaborate on documents (docs, spreadsheets, slideshows, etc.) so you can all work on a document together on your own time from your own computer. You can also hold virtual meetings if needed (there is a text chat capability, so you can ask questions or leave comments.) You will all be able to see what has been done on the document so you can watch your project come together and know how your progess is.

5) You can view and create documents from an Android, iPhone, or iPad.The app is called “Docs” on mobile smart phone devices.

6) Everything autosaves. Google files will automatically save as you type, so if you accidentally X out of the page or your internet crashes suddenly, your document will be able to be revived and you will have lost nothing! Hallelujah!

7) As long as you have internet connection, you can access your documents anywhere.If you don’t have your laptop with you, you can make use of the computers at school to access and work on any documents you have saved on your Google Drive.

8) Files are converted easily.Documents can be converted to Microsoft Word (.docx), OpenDocument Format (.odt), Rich Text Format (.rtf), PDF Document (.pdf), Plain Text (.txt), Webpage (.html, zipped)

Jessica Norton, 22, Communication Arts major / Journalism minor at Marymount Manhattan College in New York City. Pop Writer at MTV News. Creator and host of YouTube show of Camera By Her Side. Former Editorial intern at Us Weekly magazine, Features Entertainment & Lifestyles Intern at Seventeen Magazine, Assistant Team Advisor at NSLC Journalism, Film, and Media Arts, and Alloy Entertainment Digital Intern. I love yoga, traveling, pop culture, froyo, the beach, boy bands, bright colors, and lemonade. @jessnort || @camerabyherside