8 Essential Apps for Living in New York City

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MMM chapter.

New York City isn’t the easiest place to navigate. You can’t always count on a taxi (and if you do, it’ll hurt your wallet…), and if you haven’t taken the subway before it might seem like the scariest, most overwhelming experience in the world. Everyone knows that NYC has excellent nightlife and food, but how do you even know where to begin or afford it on a college student’s budget? Don’t get stuck on the sidewalk with a spinning head, there are *FREE* apps you can download onto your smart phone that can alleviate some of the stress! With a few taps of your finger, detailed and easy to understand directions, coupons, event listings, and nearby cabs can be found. The city that never sleeps has so much to offer, and we want to make sure you take advantage of it all.

1) Hop StopWhat it is: City transit guide.Available on: iPhone, iPad and Android.Why you should use it: Hop Stop will help you find convenient public transportation to your desired destination. All you have to do is plug in your Current Location and End Location (addresses or landmarks, like Rockefeller Center or Washington Square Park, work!) and HopStop will give you a list of different ways to get there, including walking directions to the nearest subway or bus stop. HopStop is updated frequently so you can track any delays or the timing of your trip!

2) UberWhat it is: Taxi, private car, ride sharing service.Available on: iPhone, Android, Windows Phone, and Mobile Web.Why you should use it: Imagine having a shiny, black car come to pick you up in front of your apartment on a rainy day. The driver holds an umbrella over your head, opens the door for you, and brings you to your destination safely and in style. Sounds like an expensive celebrity luxury, right? Wrong! No more standing out in the middle of the street flailing your arms around for a yellow taxi to notice you. On the Uber app you can choose the size car, price range, see if any are available in your immediate area, and how long it will take to come get you. This reliable car service can also get you a standard taxi.

3) SeamlessWhat it is: Online food ordering service.Available on: iPhone, iPad, Android, Blackberry, and Mobile Web.Why you should use it: In the cold winter months it is brutal walking six city blocks to your favorite diner to order chicken noodle soup, but with Seamless you don’t have to venture out into the urban tundra! With over 12,000 restaurant listings, you can choose your meal and have it delivered right to your door. Look through menus, read reviews and ratings, and find your new favorite restaurant – all from the comfort of your couch!

4) GrouponWhat it is: Coupons and daily deals at restaurants, retailers, and service providers.Available on: iPhone, iPad, Android, and Mobile Web.Why you should use it: New York is expensive, but finding deals is easy! Groupon features reduced-priced attractions, services, and items – such as cheap tickets to events at the Barclays Center or a reasonably priced spa service. Groupon is useful for booking trips, making dinner reservations, and trying new activities, like bike riding in Central Park!

5) TKTSWhat it is: Affordable tickets to Broadway and Off Broadway musicals, plays, and dance productions.Available on: iPhone, Android and Windows phones.Why you should use it: TKTS is a ticket booth (with locations in Times Square, South Street Seaport and Downtown Brooklyn) that offers 20% to 50% off regular priced show tickets everyday. On the TKTS app you can check what shows are currently on sale at all three TKTS Discount Booths in real time. The TKTS app also lets you find show information, read reviews, and is linked to TDF’s online theatre magazine. This app is extremely helpful when your friends from suburban colleges come to the city to visit you and want to see a show.

6) Time Out New YorkWhat it is: Guide of things to do in NYC.Available on: Amazon Fire, iPhone, iPad, Android, and Windows Phone.Why you should use it: It’s hard to keep track of all the different events that go on in New York City daily. From 5K runs to free outdoor concerts, it’s fun to be in-the-know about what’s going on. A street fair in the East Village? A children’s puppet show in Gramercy Park? All the information on different happenings in all the neighborhoods of NYC can be found on the Time Out New York app.

7) Central ParkWhat it is: Central Park GuideAvailable on: iPhone, iPad, and Android.Why you should use it: Did you know there is a waterfall in Central Park? How about swimming pools? On the Central Park app you can find all of the popular and hidden treasures that lie between 59th and 110th Street. The app includes an interactive GPS map, event listings, audio guides and tours, an index, and a social media feed. We are lucky enough to have Central Park as our quad. There is always something going on and you can never run out of things to see.

8) SwarmWhat it is: Location Check-in.Available on: iPhone, iPad, and Android.Why you should use it: Checking into locations can get you free swag or really cool discounts! Foursquare uses your location to see where you are and what you are near. “Check In” to your location to read ratings, see pictures, and unlock any promotions.

What other Apps do you find to be extremely useful and helpful in New York City? Let us know and leave a comment below!

Jessica Norton, 22, Communication Arts major / Journalism minor at Marymount Manhattan College in New York City. Pop Writer at MTV News. Creator and host of YouTube show of Camera By Her Side. Former Editorial intern at Us Weekly magazine, Features Entertainment & Lifestyles Intern at Seventeen Magazine, Assistant Team Advisor at NSLC Journalism, Film, and Media Arts, and Alloy Entertainment Digital Intern. I love yoga, traveling, pop culture, froyo, the beach, boy bands, bright colors, and lemonade. @jessnort || @camerabyherside