5 Essentials for the Over Sleeper

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MMM chapter.

In college, it’s hard to wake up before 11 am. It’s possible but there is usually an alarm clock involved and a lot of snooze button hits. When you live far from your classes it makes it even more difficult, 8:30s feel like death after you were up all night studying or finishing up a Netflix binge. It just gets even more difficult when you calculate how much time it will take in the morning to get ready and put together an outfit and makeup look that shows that you tried, let alone actually look amazing in. Below I have compiled a list of the five essential things to pull any look together on early morning days.

1. Dry Shampoo

Some people have hair that gets greasy after one day, some have hair that is so thick it’s just a pain to have to wash every single day. This is why dry shampoo is such a savior. It can liven up your hair in a few quick spritz to the roots and it makes your hair look as clean as if you had washed it. This is important for oversleepers like me who want to take a quick shower but don’t have the time to deal with all the hair on my head, especially in the wintertime when it needs to be dry to go out. Some good brands for dry shampoo are Batiste, Captain Blankenship, and Not Your Mother’s.

2. Red Lipstick

I don’t always have time to put a full face of makeup on so I usually keep a tube of red lipstick or a nice light pink gloss in my bag that I can quickly put on while I’m on the train. Even if you do not have a full face of makeup you can work at least a lip and look semi-pulled together. Some of the best red lipsticks are Kiko Unlimited Stylo in 07, Jeffree Star Cosmetics in Unicorn Blood, E.L.F. Matte lip color in Rowdy Rouge, and Mac Lipstick in Ruby Woo.

3. Concealer

Concealer is not just for covering pimples. It is super helpful on the days when you didn’t get enough sleep. Just a little bit under your eyes will take the puffiness and dark circles away for the day and it only takes a couple of seconds. It will help you look like you are well slept and ready for the day ahead, whether that is actually true or not. Be sure to set it with a powder after applying! Some good concealers to try are: Tarte Shape Tape, Urban Decay Naked Skin Complete Coverage concealer, Maybelline New York Instant Age Rewind Eraser Dark Circles Treatment concealer, and Nyx HD Photogenic Concealer Wand.

4. Starbucks App

Starbucks has the option on their app that you can order your drink to go and it is a lifesaver! Skip that long line and order as you are walking to your car to leave or when you are right around the corner. It can save you sometimes a good hour of your day. After you order, you pay through the app and all you have to do is pick it up at the counter when it’s ready! They will be preparing it as you travel there.

5. Granola Bars

It is super easy to miss breakfast in the morning when you are in a rush and I am sure tons of people have yelled at you about how it is the most important meal of the day. It is true, it helps get your metabolism going, it gives you a burst of energy and it breaks the overnight fasting period, even if that fasting period was only a couple of hours. The body need to replenish its supply of glucose and nutrients and sets a standard for the rest of the day. Granola bars are small, which is great for people who cannot eat a lot in the morning. I always keep at least 5 in my bag just in case I forget to eat in the morning. It also helps when you may need a snack later! Granola bars are also super high in protein and most of the nutrients that are needed from a breakfast meal.

Getting up early can be a real pain, but hopefully these five items make that morning wake up call just a little bit easier! Rise and shine everybody!