Why The Great British Baking Show is better than any American cooking competition show I have seen.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

Throughout quarantine, many people chose to start binge-watching tv shows. I started watching The Great British Baking Show. I have watched many American cooking shows such as Chopped, Guy’s Groceries Game’s, Cut-Throat Kitchen, and Iron Chef but something about The Great British Baking Show really stood out to me. 

After watching numerous episodes throughout the seasons, I noticed the community of support with the bakers. The bakers made friendships and helped each other throughout the competition. At the end of the season, they show images of the bakers visiting each other after the season has ended. The bakers would also help each other out in the competition as well. I can’t count the number of times I saw competitors walk over to other stations and ask what they could do to help. Even the judges show great respect for the contestants. 

This is dramatically different than what I’ve seen in American cooking shows. In American shows, they sabotage and even talk down to their competitors. I don’t see any of these chefs or bakers making any friendships as they do in The Great British Baking Show. The attitude in American baking and cooking shows just seems so much more negative and selfish. 

I was also astounded by the baker’s reactions to loosing, they would talk about the great friendships they made and how they are glad they were there because they learned something and got to have that experience and they still have respect for the judges. They give everyone hugs and congratulate the star baker and reassure the other bakers that they belong there. 

This too is dramatically different in American cooking shows, when American’s lose in these shows they will be extremely angry, put down other competitors, and even challenge the credentials of the judges. In American cooking shows the competitors are really just sore losers. This isn’t true with all the competitors but I have noticed the majority of competitors behave this way. 

The appeal of The Great British Baking Show for me is the relationships they make with each other and how they really value their experience even if they lose. It brings me hope and peace in a time of uncertainty and stress. I highly recommended watching even just a few episodes for quality and wholesome entertainment, especially when you are in a time of stress. 

(she/her) Madison Thompson is a junior at The University of Missouri- Columbia and has direct admission into the Donald W. Reynolds Journalism School. She is an older sister and loves to read and write. In addition to Journalism, Madison loves creative writing. Madison has a self-published poetry book titled "The Journey". Her Poem Supermarket was a finalist in the 2019 KET writing contest.
HC Contributer Mizzou