This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

There are ways you can still impact our country and fight for what you want for America after you have voted, or if you can’t vote. Here are 5 ways that you can work to better our country outside the election. 

Write letters to your representatives

Is there a certain issue you are particularly concerned about or certain actions you care about? Write to your local or national representatives and tell them. You can do this on your own or in a group with people who are also concerned. Our representatives are supposed to fight for and represent us so let them know what you want to be changed. 

Volunteer and/or Donate

You can volunteer your time and/or your money to the cause you are passionate about. There are many non-profit groups that are working on certain issues, find one you agree with, and help them any way you can. 

Spread awareness and educate

You can either do this on your own with your friends and family or join an organization to educate people in your community about the issue and why they should care and help. You can also make sure you are educated about the issue as well. Education is the first step in activism and is one of the most important parts. 

Fight yourself

If you are concerned about a certain issue yourself you can change your lifestyle to help that. For example, if you are concerned about waste you can minimize your own by composting, recycling, and buying zero waste products. You could also attend rallies and meetings, safely, to help bring attention to the issue. 

Support companies that share your values

Many big cooperations have values as well. You can educate yourself and support companies that share the same values as you. If you don’t support a certain issue make sure the company doesn’t play a big part in it or support it. 

The most important part is that you are doing something. Be an active citizen in this country so that our country can grow for the better. All of these are connected and there are so many ways that you can impact our country. Find what you enjoy the most or works the best for you. This is our country so we need to fight to make it what we want. 

(she/her) Madison Thompson is a junior at The University of Missouri- Columbia and has direct admission into the Donald W. Reynolds Journalism School. She is an older sister and loves to read and write. In addition to Journalism, Madison loves creative writing. Madison has a self-published poetry book titled "The Journey". Her Poem Supermarket was a finalist in the 2019 KET writing contest.
HC Contributer Mizzou