This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

It’s time for a massive change. It’s time to make Valentine’s Day about ourselves. 2020 is all about self-care, and Valentine’s Day should become the holiday for it. It doesn’t matter if you are single, complicated, or in a three-year relationship. This is the year of you, so I have created an entire day made just for you.  

Start the morning with your favorite Starbucks drink! For me, every day should begin off with a coffee, but today is extra special, so get that drink you always crave in a Venti. Maybe add whip-cream on top too for added flavor, of course. By getting your morning beverage of choice, you can conquer the day no matter what twists or turns you face. For me, I love the Coca Cloud Macchiato because of its strong coffee flavor with notes of caramel.   

Side note: If you are lucky enough to have only afternoon classes or no classes at all on Fridays, then I highly recommend that you lay in bed at least an extra half hour because all ladies deserve their beauty rest.   

Now that your classes are over, it’s time to do all the pampering. Paint your nails because who has the time to do that anymore? Having my nails done makes me feel put-together and it’s always nice to break out your favorite shade. Personally, mine is OPI Candy Apple Red.  

My advice is to pick your favorite outfit and ask one (or all) of your besties to do that photoshoot you have been talking about for weeks. Pictures in front of downtown Como will not only be a blast but will be memories that you and your friend(s) will have forever. While anywhere downtown will be picture-perfect, the murals located throughout Columbia make fantastic backdrops. These include the giant dandelions, or the rainbow butterfly wings.  

I’m sure by this time you’re probably hungry, which obviously means it’s pizza time. If you’re looking for something fun and different, go with Gumby’s. Their mozzarella sticks on top of pizza will have you coming back for seconds. There are plenty of other options as well, including Pizza Tree and Shakespeare’s. Enjoy yourself as you eat the cheesy goodness and realize how important self-care is! 

To end the night, pick your favorite platform whether it’s Netflix, Hulu, or Disney Plus and watch that movie/show that makes you happy. It’s essential to watch whatever you like most. Get into your cutest pjs, grab your warmest blanket, and maybe even pop some popcorn. Relax a little as you smile from that classic rom-com you secretly love. 

Valentine’s Day is ready for you to do you. Take care of yourself this holiday doing whatever you like! These of course are just some recommendations to help you pamper the most important person: yourself.  

The most important thing is to enjoy your life – to be happy – it’s all that matters. 

-Audrey Hepburn 

Katie Quinn

Mizzou '23

Hi! My name is Katie Quinn and I am a sophmore journalism student at Mizzou. I love to write, edit audio, and take pictures in my free time. I love to watch any and all reality tv, so if you ever want to talk about the Bachelor please let me know!