It’s Labor Day… Now What?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

You’ve survived the first two weeks of school, and Labor Day will be here before you know it. If you’re like me, you’re counting down the hours until the upcoming three-day weekend. Often times Labor Day is a weekend full of family, friends and fun. But instead of heading home for a few days, some of us are saying “hellloooo CoMo” for the holiday weekend. So for those of us who are out-of-state or are simply staying to play, let’s take advantage of this opportunity to get to know Columbia better and (hopefully) relax a little bit.

First and foremost, there is the Mizzou football game against Southeastern Louisiana at 6 p.m. on Saturday. Bring out that gold dress and Lilly koozie and get ready for some tailgating and M-I-Z chants. After all, we are in the SEC now! For more updates on how to be SEC-ready for the upcoming football season check out our SEC Style Guide. Remember, come early, stay late, and wear gold!                                                                                                                              

Adventure seekers can grab some friends and drive 15 minutes north of Columbia to the Pinnacles for the afternoon. It is a beautiful place to go rock climbing, or just take a simple hike. There is even a shallow cave to explore! Grills and picnic tables are provided, so think about packing a lunch. Check out the website for directions and more information.                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

When all else fails, go shopping. Just be sure to check out the downtown boutiques’ hours before you go. From Elly’s Couture to Britches, you are guaranteed to find something fabulous to wear to that upcoming social or weekend barbeque. Once you finish, grab lunch with some friends to take your mind off school and your busy schedule for at least an hour or two.

If you are into indie flicks or simply want a change of pace from the average movie theaters, Ragtag Cinema is a phenomenal way to spend an evening. This coming weekend Celeste & Jessie Forever, The Queen of Versailles and Beasts of the Southern Wild are all playing. Check out the Ragtag site for show times.                                                                  

If you want to donate a little time back to the community, look into local volunteering options. Keep in mind the reason we have Labor Day! First proposed in 1882, the first Monday in September is a day to remember all the hard work we Americans have put in throughout the year.

Of course, it can always be calming to head to Memorial Union and grab some Starbucks and a good book (50 Shades of Gray anyone?) to enjoy your weekend.

Columbia is a beautiful city, especially this time of year. Keep these activities in mind, and with a little creativity and motivation, you’re sure to have a memorable and lovely Labor Day.

Photo Credits
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1122177-mizzou-to-sec-7-major-changes…
http://www.columbiamissourian.com/stories/2009/04/15/pinnacles-youth-par…
http://www.ragtagfilm.com/

I'm a junior K∆ at Mizzou! I love reading, decorating, animals, and being outdoors. Bonfires are my favorite. My dream job would be to be a professional adventurer. We'll see... :)
Allison Goldberg is a junior at the University of Missouri double majoring in strategic communication journalism with an emphasis in PR and marketing and psychology. In Columbia, she is a member of Zeta Tau Alpha women's fraternity executive council and is a Rent the Runway campus rep. During her spare time you can find her shopping, spending time with her friends and family, running outside or reading a fashion magazine. Allison has interned at a social media firm, BCV Evolve in Chicago for the past two summers. She hopes to work for a fashion PR firm in Chicago or New York when she graduates and eventually travel to South America.