Style > Beauty

I’m a Blonde, Here Are My Top 5 Purple Shampoos

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

As a blonde, especially with modern trends, it is so important to maintain and keep up with our changing colors. Sometimes my blonde is dirty, dishwater, brassy, or green (thanks for that one, chlorine). This makes it imperative to find the perfect purple shampoo to keep my hair ashy and cool toned. Purple shampoo lifts the brassiness (gold/yellow tone) from lightened hair. It also helps take away orange-y tones from dark, brunette hair. I use my purple shampoo, around once a week, as a mask before I wash my hair. I let it sit for about 10 minutes, then rinse and continue with my normal shower routine. I have used so many purple shampoo and toning products, that I thought I’d share my favorites:

Keracolor’s Clenditioner

Clenditioner worked so well for my hair, since I do get highlights about every 6 months. It is a color depositor, so it sets on hair that has already been lightened. I loved the smell and my hair was the softest after this product. Clenditioner’s colors range from platinum (from the purple in the product) to hot pink to emerald and last 10-15 washes, which makes them a great choice for temporary, safe dye! Keracolor products are vegan, never tested on animals, and sulfate/paraben-free. Check out the reviews on Amazon, they really speak for themselves. I truly cannot say enough good things about this brand and product line!

Clairol Professional’s Shimmer Lights

Shimmer Lights gives you so much quality product while staying so affordable. After you’ve spent over $100 getting your hair lightened, I know you definitely don’t want to spend any more money to maintain your color. My last bottle of Shimmer Lights lasted around 5 months. I’ve found it works so well at keeping the brass away, while never leaving a purple tint on my hair (something that I’ve seen happen to myself, and others, a lot). I do find that when I’m putting on the product, it does get pretty messy, but nothing water and soap can’t fix. Finally, it does seem to dry out my hair quite a bit, so just make sure to follow up with a hydrating conditioner or mask.

Paul Mitchell’s Platinum Blonde Shampoo

My Paul Mitchell blonde shampoo was definitely one of my favorites, until it quickly stopped toning. I’m not sure why or how, perhaps the product expired, but it just stopped working. When it did work, it was hydrating and really great at giving me the silver/gray look I had hoped for.

Not Your Mother’s Blonde Moment Treatment Shampoo 

My Not Your Mother’s experience wasn’t too terrible. The shampoo did what it needed to, but nothing special. When used more than once a week, it definitely left a purple tint on my hair. Still a great price for the quality!

L’Oreal Everpure’s Brass Toning Purple Shampoo

L’Oreal’s Everpure shampoo definitely worked and toned my hair the way I liked. However, it was the shampoo that left the most purple tint on my hair which is the biggest red flag for me when it comes to trying out purple shampoos.

I am very excited to try Kristen Ess’s purple shampoo next! Which purple shampoos out there worked best for you?

Sophomore at the University of Missouri studying Marketing and Economics, with a minor in Psychology. I'm also involved in The Relevant Youth and Alpha Chi Omega Sorority. I love drawing on my iPad in my free time, cuddling with my cat, or binging a show on Netflix -- sometimes all three!
HC Contributer Mizzou