How To Pick Your New Year’s Resolutions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

New Year’s is right around the corner and with it comes the task of picking out your resolutions for 2022. Most commonly, people choose to go to the gym more or save money, but then fall off their grind second it hits February. To avoid that, let’s break down the best way to pick a resolution, and most importantly, how to stick to it. 

Take inventory 

Over the last year, what’s brought you the most joy? What’s caused the most stress? Is there anything you’ve been meaning to do that just slipped under the radar this past year? 

Make a list of the good, the bad and the forgotten. Then arrange them from most to least important. Prioritize.

Find your motivation 

Picking your priorities for the new year is the first step. Now it’s time to find something to push yourself. Maybe if you finally clean out your closet or get that job you’ve always wanted, you could then go out for a self-care day or take a day off of work. 

Ideally, your motivation would be to make yourself proud, but internal validation doesn’t motivate everyone. Don’t feel bad if you need a tangible treat to get yourself going. 

Commit

The hardest part of any resolution is committing to it. A lot of people forget about their resolutions or simply lose motivation after January is well and done. 

Make a physical list of your resolutions. Place it somewhere you see everyday and make smaller progress goals if you happened to pick an especially trying goal for 2022. You can set reminders on your phone or check out apps like Trello and Notion to organize your objectives. 

Find support

A friend or two by your side can always be helpful. If you want to go to the gym more often, aligning your schedule with a friend can hold you both accountable for your goal. Even the act of just verbalizing your intentions and sharing them with others sets an expectation that you will try and reach or complete your goals. 

Be realistic

You can’t become the ideal version of yourself overnight. Make sure your goals are attainable and that you set yourself up for success. Some resolutions can be built on for years –– you don’t need to be Superman the second the clock strikes midnight. 

Good luck with your resolutions, and happy New Year’s from Her Campus!

Emma Lingo is the senior editor at Her Campus’s University of Missouri chapter. She oversees the entertainment and culture verticals on the site, including television, movies, and book coverage. Beyond Her Campus, Emma works as a freelance writer. Her bylines have appeared in The List, The Missourian, Vox Magazine, Shifter Magazine and more. She will graduate with a major in journalism in Summer 2023 with an emphasis on reporting and writing. In her free time, Emma enjoys reading, journaling, and hanging out with her cat Tuna. She’s a certified Swiftie who has a major bone to pick with John Mayer and is always down to go from a drive and blast music.