This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

College can be hectic. Most freshmen are away from home for the first time in their lives. As a freshman, you have to share a small living space with a stranger and interact with countless new people each day. Attending a school like Mizzou, which has around 30,000 students, can feel especially overwhelming. 

For introverts, the college transition can be even more anxiety-inducing. It definitely was for me. Below, I’ve shared five tips for navigating college as an introvert.

Schedule some alone time 

I love my college friends, but sometimes I feel as if I’m constantly around people. This non-stop socialization can be exhausting, so I always try to schedule some me-time. 

If you’re introverted like me, consider spending some time with yourself each day. Listen to your favorite music on a walk, curl up with a good book outside or just grab a quick coffee in between classes. 

Ignore your FOMO

There’s constantly something happening in college. Whether it be a football game, a party or a lunch date with friends, there are endless opportunities for socialization. These events can be fun, but they can also be incredibly stressful. At the beginning of the semester, I felt like I had to go to every activity or else I would miss out. This mentality was very draining. 

My advice: ignore that annoying voice in your head that berates you for not going to a party. If you don’t want to do something, don’t do it. Odds are, there will be another event you can go to when you’re actually in the mood. 

Join an organization

Making friends in college is overwhelming for everyone, but it can seem even harder for introverts. Joining an organization is a great way to remedy this. You’ll be around people with similar interests and personalities, making it easier to connect with them. Plus, you’ll be able to work toward a cause you care about! 

Create a routine 

Many introverts, such as myself, like to follow a schedule. I don’t need a strict itinerary, but having a general idea of what to expect each day can be comforting.

If you’re like me, consider creating a routine. For example, try grabbing breakfast before class every Tuesday or going to the gym at the same time each week. This daily plan can provide you with a much-needed sense of familiarity. 

Let your feelings out 

As an introvert, I tend to bottle up my emotions when I’m overwhelmed. When I reach this point, I force myself to open up in some way. Maybe I’ll vent to my sister on the phone or write my thoughts down in a journal.

Next time you’re feeling stressed, acknowledge and express your feelings in some way. I promise you’ll feel much better afterward. 

Remember that You’re Not alone

Many aspects of college are centered around extraversion, from dorm life to lecture-style classes. This can feel very isolating for introverts, but just remember, you’re not alone. College is huge, and there are so many opportunities for genuine connections on campus.

Allison Acquaviva, a blogger and Utica college graduate, spoke to NBC about her experience as an introverted college student.

“College gave me freedom to feel welcome, because there were a lot more people like me, introverted,” Acquaviva told NBC. “It was much easier to open up and be friendly with other people, especially those people I got to know in my major.”

I hope these tips help you adjust to college as an introvert. I understand how tough it can be at first, but trust me, life will improve. Before you know it, college life will feel completely natural to you, introverted or not.

Hi, my name is Olivia Shelton! I'm a freshman at the University of Missouri and an undecided major. I joined Her Campus because I love writing and want to continue to do it throughout college. I think being a part of Her Campus is a great opportunity to improve my writing, be creative, and join a community of women on campus!