This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

Masks are a part of our daily lives. Each and every one of us wears a mask every day all day when going out in public. For some, like myself, I have experienced the struggles of wearing a mask: mask acne. It comes in forms of breakouts on your chin, around your mouth, and your cheeks. Mask acne is a new normal, and I am here to help! Here are some ways to prevent breakouts in a time where masks are essential to our health.  

First, clean your mask every day. I know that sounds simple, but I know many people who were the same mask multiple days in a row. Not only is it unsanitary with coronavirus traveling around the US, but it could also be the sneaky reason why pimples are popping up out of nowhere. Like any other clothing piece, when it gets sweaty, bacteria form and can make skin irritable. Your mask can become a hot, humid breeding ground for bacteria, so be sure to switch your mask as often as you can.  

Next, run to our local Target and pick up a tube of benzoyl peroxide. It is a topical antiseptic that directly counteracts acne. Before you go to sleep, just a dab a little bit of cream onto any problem areas, and bam, it will be gone in no time. Also, washing your face can be a big help too if you aren’t doing that already.   

Lastly, you are beautiful, no matter what. Acne is a part of life, and while it may seem like a huge deal now, there is no reason to get down about yourself. Beauty is not about being perfect, but it is about being yourself, so next time you get acne remember: it’s normal and doesn’t make you any less beautiful. 

Katie Quinn

Mizzou '23

Hi! My name is Katie Quinn and I am a sophmore journalism student at Mizzou. I love to write, edit audio, and take pictures in my free time. I love to watch any and all reality tv, so if you ever want to talk about the Bachelor please let me know!
HC Contributer Mizzou