This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

Not only was Meghan Markle crowned Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, on May 19, 2018, after taking the hand of Prince Harry in royal marriage, she has also been “crowned” PEOPLE’s “Best Dressed Star of 2018.” For the House of Windsor, the induction of Meghan into the royal family has brought them many firsts: for example, Meghan is not of royal lineage and an American citizen. How does she seem to effortlessly bend these traditions? And with such confidence?

One of the dominating factors is due to the late mother of Prince Harry, Diana, Princess of Wales, who tragically passed away in the August of 1997 after a fatal car accident. In life, Princess Diana encouraged diversity and change within the duties of the royal family by being involved in several organizations and charities across the globe. In 1991, she visited a residence for victims of AIDS in Toronto, Canada where she shook the hand of a patient without the protective gloves or a mask. Because of Princess Diana’s royal status, such acts were deemed dangerous, but she ironically showed the world how royals can utilize their influence to make changes in society. As to being a mother, Princess Diana also enrolled her two sons (Prince William, Duke of Cambridge and Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex) in public schools as opposed to the highly secured and privately funded institutions that royals had attended for generations before. If it had not been for attending public schools, Prince William most likely would not have met his wife Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge while attending the University of St. Andrews.

Source

Fortunately, the generosity and love that Princess Diana had for people have indeed been passed down to her sons, such as being involved in numerous charities and serving in the British Army, British Air Force, and Royal Navy. It is no surprise that both sons desired for change as well within the rules and regulations of the crown: both married spouses with no royal lineage. Interestingly enough, it seems that when it came to the engagement of Prince Harry and Meghan, there were many more questions that needed answering.

Meghan Markle, now thirty-seven, was acclimated to fame way before she came into contact with Prince Harry. Being born in Los Angeles, California in 1981, her father worked as a television cinematographer, thus young Meghan had the opportunity to visit TV sets as a young girl. At age eleven, she appeared in a small segment on Nick News where she described how she had viewed a certain commercial as being sexist, thus inspiring her to write to the production company to make a change. After graduating from college with a double major in theater and international studies, Meghan worked as a freelance calligrapher all while auditioning for small television parts. Most notably, she appeared as a “briefcase girl” in Deal or No Deal and USA network’s Suits. After realizing her experience with Hollywood, it is no wonder Meghan effortlessly beams before cameras.

Source

Not only does Meghan have a past with movie-making, but social media and fashion as well. Before her Instagram deletion in 2017, she had reached 1.9 million followers. Unfortunately, after her engagement to Prince Harry, all social media of Meghan had to be removed. After the removals, a statement was issued by Kensington Palace where Meghan wanted to personally thank those who supported her via social media. In 2014, she founded a lifestyle magazine, The Tig, where she provided a podium for women titled “Tig Talk.” In 2016, Meghan worked with the Canadian company Reitmans to design a work and casual clothing for women, and as of 2018, she was nominated as PEOPLE’s “Best Dressed Star of 2018” and was also nominated for 2018 Teen Choice Awards’ “Choice Style Icon.”

Due to the fact that Meghan Markle is not of royal lineage and is a bi-racial woman of American citizenship, it is no wonder that her acceptance into the royal family is smiled upon. If at the age of eleven Meghan had the courage to make producers of a commercial change the message of their product, the royal family is sure that she is bound to make positive changes under the crown as well.

It is no wonder that for her wedding veil Meghan had it specially designed to represent all of the fifty-three Commonwealth countries as a tribute to Princess Diana. Also, her engagement ring which Prince Harry gave to Meghan during the ceremony was made utilizing two small stones from Princess Diana’s personal collection.

Source

Source

Although Abigail was born and raised in Saint Joseph, Missouri, she is currently a film production major attending the University of Missouri in Columbia. She began volunteering as a production assistant and boom operator on small sets in Kansas City in 2017. At Mizzou, she is a current member of the Film Production Club and Shot Reverse Shot (23MUTV). She also spends her time volunteering at the Women's Center on campus as well as participating in creative activities such as listening to music, drawing, writing, etc. After graduation, she plans to move to Los Angeles to further her career within the field of film production.
HC Contributer Mizzou