This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

In the world of skincare, there are plenty of products with long, confusing lists of ingredients. Navigating these ingredients is essential to have a good routine that fits your specific needs. Read below to learn more about ingredients you’ve probably been seeing in products recently, but don’t understand. 

Vitamin C

Vitamin C is a potent antioxidant that comes with major benefits. At its core, Vitamin C aids in the skin’s natural regeneration process. Consequently, it helps protect the skin during the day, it brightens dark spots, and it ultimately decreases and prevents signs of aging within the skin. Vitamin C serums may be used every morning and can be mixed with most active ingredients, but it’s not recommended. 

Helpful hint: ascorbic acid, aka Vitamin C, is unstable when exposed to light, so don’t use your serum if it’s brown.

Hyaluronic Acid (HA)

Often paired with Vitamin C, hyaluronic acid is a humectant mainly used as an anti-ager. This acid is an effective hydrator, able to draw in enough moisture to heal and plump the skin so that fine lines and wrinkles disappear. If you want dewey, youthful-looking skin, look for hyaluronic acid in the ingredients list on your products. 

Niacinamide

Niacinamide is a form of Vitamin B3. It mainly works on the outer surface of the skin at its barrier. UV rays and free radicals come in, and they damage and age the skin, but niacinamide shows up for the rehab job and basically rebuilds the skin barrier and makes it more resilient. Consequently, it brightens the skin, fades dark spots and controls excess oil and sebum (the thing that clogs pores and causes breakouts) production within the skin. It also reduces redness and sensitivity. 

Bonus: unlike most skincare ingredients, niacinamide can basically be tolerated everyday, twice a day by all skin types. 

Salicylic Acid/BHA

Salicylic acid is a beta hydroxy acid that is often recommended for people with oily, acne-prone skin. As a BHA, salicylic acid is able to sink deep within the skin and loosen the bonds between dead skin cells and the pore lining in order to rejuvenate the appearance of skin on the surface. As a result, it eliminates factors that contribute to acne.

AHAs

AHAs are alpha hydroxy acids that work as chemical exfoliants for the skin. Instead of rubbing a harsh, physical exfoliant, enzymes break down dead skin cells on the surface to make skin smooth and give it a natural glow. AHAs can be used everyday at any time, but it’s recommended to use them exclusively at night and only a few days a week to give the skin a break. 

Retinol

Retinol is an all-in-one product, but it is best known for its anti-aging benefits. It repairs deep damage within the skin like scarring (acne or otherwise), fine lines and aging spots. It also works to heal post inflammatory hyperpigmentation. This product will make your skin sensitive to the sun, so it is recommended to use in the evening. It also must be applied to dry skin. Introduce this to your routine slowly, maybe begin with applying once every two weeks. You can work up to using it at a max of three times a week. 

Not all good products have to be expensive. Just check the ingredient list and curate a routine that is specific to your needs!

Just another STL native studying Journalism at Mizzou. Lover of music, books, fashion, and pasta.
HC Contributer Mizzou