Wellness

Cruelty-Free Bath and Body Products: Fall Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

It would not be a proper spooky season without pumpkin spice, warm vanilla and apple crisp-scented everything. Fall (as much as we love it) is unfortunately a time for chapped lips and skin as the temperatures drops lower each day. In the spirit of fall, here’s a guide to some deliciously-scented, cruelty-free bath and body products to keep yourself moisturized, happy and healthy this fall.

Hempz Pumpkin Spice & Vanilla Chai Herbal body moisturizer

This lotion has garnered rave reviews on the Ulta Beauty website and has a 4.8-star review ranking on Hempz for its efficacy and scent. Its lightweight, soothing formula contains pumpkin seed extract and shea butter. Hempz does not test on animals and this lotion is 100% vegan. The Pumpkin Spice & Vanilla Chai scent is limited-edition, so swipe it up fast! (If you’re not a pumpkin fan, Hempz also offers an Apple Cinnamon Shortbread scent).

Burt’s bees Halloween Value Pack Lip Balm

Burt’s Bees has amassed a cult following thanks to their environmentally-conscious marketing, mission and products. Their lip balm is arguably the most popular product they offer. This fall, they’ve introduced a couple limited-edition flavors including Vanilla Maple, Salted Caramel and Chai. A Burt’s Bees value pack with Pumpkin Spice, Chai and original Beeswax lip balms is available at Target for $6.29.

ULTA crisp apple scented foaming hand wash

Ulta’s fun scent collection provides more ethical and cost-effective dupes for a lot of Bath and Body Works products. This Crisp Apple scent also comes in a gel hand wash and hand sanitizer. For you warm vanilla lovers out there, Ulta also offers an amazing Sugared Vanilla scent. We’re still in a pandemic! Wash your hands! (I sure hope you did before, too).

Tree HUt Tahitian vanilla bean Shea sugar scrub

Fall is a time for musky and warm vanilla scents. While most of Tree Hut’s sugar scrubs feature summery scents like Watermelon and Coconut Lime, their Tahitian Vanilla scrub makes the cut for fall. This exfoliator won’t dry out your skin with harsh parabens, sulfates or alcohol. Tree Hut does not test on animals and is committed to using “skin-loving, plant-based” ingredients, according to their website.

lush punkin pumpkin bath bomb

One website review describes this vegan bath bomb as “spicy, well-balanced and extremely cozy!” This bath bomb contains lime oil, cinnamon leaf oil and pumpkin powder to achieve a spicy fall-inspired scent. Lush is dedicated to sustainability through minimal packaging and mostly vegan ingredients as well as charitable donations to animal welfare groups.

BONUS: The body shop’s vanilla pumpkin collection

This new and limited-edition collection features a body butter, shower cream and fizzy bath bomb. Reviews are minimal at the moment, so shop at your own risk!

To wrap it up, these products would all make great ‘treat yourself’ gifts after midterms! While the most ethical beauty products are the ones you already own, don’t forget to reward yourself every once in awhile. College can be difficult and work piles up. There’s so many stressors we encounter every single day.

Self-care, even in the form of a slightly overpriced bottle of lotion, is still completely valid if it makes you happy. But these products alone aren’t a magic cure. If you’re exploring self-care, I encourage you to find a balance of healthy habits and stick with them. Here’s to a great rest of the semester! Happy fall everybody!

Hi there! My name is Katie, and I'm the current editor of Her Campus Mizzou. I'm originally from Macungie, Pennsylvania (go Phillies!) and I'm currently a sophomore at Mizzou studying journalism and political science. I enjoy outdoorsy activities, Spotify playlists, reading, and marveling at the campus squirrels. Journalistic storytelling is a passion of mine, and I would love to be an investigative reporter someday.