This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

A small flower shop in Columbia, Missouri has been open for almost 20 years and continues to provide service for customers in the area. Amy Ferguson knows the shop in and out and has enjoyed working there over the years.

“My mom owns the store, and I kind of grew up around the shop,” Ferguson said. “I used to come help her set up weddings on Saturdays when I was a kid. After I graduated Mizzou, I started working here full time.”

Allen’s Flowers has a variety of colors in roses, daisies, and carnations along with others. They also order flowers from St. Louis and Kansas City if there is a particular flower that a customer would like. They arrange the flowers in the vase and try to match colors that look good together.

“We don’t put a lot of weird color combinations together I guess, but it’s really up to what the customer wants,” Ferguson said.

Florist Tina Bradley has a hard time deciding what time of the year she enjoys best at Allen’s Flowers.

“I absolutely love to work with the spring flowers in the spring, but I love the fall flowers in the fall,” Bradley said.

Bradley attempts to keep up with the everything going on in the floral business.

“A lot of things have changed, so it’s constantly evolving,” she said. “And so I do like keeping up with the industry and trying to be as up to date as possible.”

Allen’s Flowers continues to provide fast service, deliveries and a variety of flowers for the surrounding community in Columbia.

Studying to be a journalist at the University of Missouri in Columbia. Senior Editor and Writer at Her Campus Mizzou.
HC Contributer Mizzou