This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

If you’re reading this article right now, you are looking at a screen. On the off-chance that you printed this article out before you read it, you would still have had to look at a screen to print it out. The average American spends around 17 hours a day looking at some version of technology, whether that be your phone, computer, tablet, TV or another smart device. All of that screen time and the light it emits is actually putting a strain on your eyes and could possibly lead to vision problems in the future. Fortunately, there is a solution: blue light glasses. 

So, what are blue-light glasses? Essentially, they are glasses that block out or limit the exposure to the harsh “blue light” that screens emit, which can harm your brain – especially at night – by keeping you awake and possibly impairing your vision. Some versions of the glasses also come with non-glare protection, which can help limit the effects of digital eye strain. 

How can they help you? First of all, they will help you get better sleep at night. The blue light that comes from screens, including some light bulbs, is a bright light that can impair your brain from sending the proper signals to go to sleep. If you’ve ever wondered why you can’t fall asleep at night after staring at your screen for a few hours, this is most likely the reason. Blue light glasses can help counteract that – other options would be to lower the brightness on your screen, and choose lamps that have a warmer tone of light. It is recommended that you do not look at a screen one to two hours before going to bed, but since that is not realistic for many of us, blue light glasses are a good alternative. 

Another benefit is that it limits the effects of digital eye strain, also known as Computer Vision Syndrome. When you look at a screen for too long, you often lose focus and feel your eyes almost burning from the light. Blue light glasses can enhance the focus of the screen while also limiting the amount of light that can be absorbed by your retina, meaning less pain and less strain. 

The final benefit is that blue light glasses may prevent you from going blind when you get older. The particular wavelength of light that exists in screens has been shown to potentially damage your retina, which can then lead to different types of vision impairment, the most common being Age-Related Macular Degeneration (AMD). AMD is a leading cause of blindness, and blue light glasses can help delay the effects of the disease or reduce the likelihood of contracting it. 

Blue light glasses are affordable, come in many different styles and can be used with or without a prescription. You can buy them on Amazon or speciality stores that specialize in blue light blocking technology. So, what are you waiting for? Get off your screen and buy some glasses!  

Ellie DeBeer

Mizzou '24

Hi! My name is Ellie, and I am excited to share stories with the public! I am interested broadcast journalism, theatre, choir, and promoting awareness for national sex education.
Jordan Thornsberry is a student at the University of Missouri-Columbia, studying magazine journalism. In her free time, Jordan likes to travel, read and catch up on the latest celebrity drama. You can find more of her writing at jordantberry.com and on social media at @jordantberry.