This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Minnesota chapter.

With the semester in full swing and most of us drowning in essays and assignments, it can be tough to find the motivation you need at this point in the semester. Though many of us find our study spaces on campus and stick to them, try broadening your horizons this semester and give yourself a fresh environment to study in. I’ve compiled a list of a few of my favorite places to study on and around our beautiful Twin Cities campus, so grab your books and check them out!

Architecture Library

This lesser-known library is located on the second floor of Rapson Hall. If you’re looking to do your work in an aesthetically pleasing location, the Architecture Library lets in some of the best natural light on campus. With its modern decor and gorgeous art, this spot is sure to satisfy all majors alike.

Noise Level: Because so many people don’t even know about this place, the Architecture Library typically isn’t crowded. So, if you want a nearly silent study space, head on over.

UMN Women’s Center Lounge

Located in 65 Appleby Hall, the University’s Women’s Center is open to people of all genders during the school day. With cozy lighting and an accommodating staff, this centrally-located space on East Bank is perfect to just pop by in between classes or stay and study for a few hours!

Noise level: Though Appleby Hall is usually buzzing with activity, the Women’s Center is located in the basement, making it a rather quiet place to work on homework.

Magrath Library

For those of you with classes on our quaint St. Paul campus, Magrath Library is one of the best places to get down to business. There are a ton of nooks and crannies to hide yourself in when you really need to focus. This library is seriously SO QUIET and there’s a SMART Learning Commons that is perfect for meeting up to work on group projects or to use if you need any face-to-face help from your peers.

Noise level: Magrath is generally very quiet. It seems to be the case that some noise is okay, but people are usually working on individual work when they’re there.

Purple Onion Café

When you just can’t stand the library anymore or you need a break from campus, extend your study session over at the Purple Onion Café. A popular spot for college students and professionals, this coffee shop has a great selection of specialty drinks and warm food items. Bring your books along and try out some of their hearty soups or delicious sandwiches when you need to refuel!

Noise level: If you enjoy studying with some action around you, the Purple Onion Café has about the same noise level as your local Starbucks or a typical coffee shop. This can be a great location for meeting up with people — one of my professors even had his office hours here in the morning!

University Recreation and Wellness Center

The U’s Rec Center is one of the greatest places on campus for multitasking. If you’re feeling particularly motivated, grab your homework and throw on your tennis shoes to sneak a workout in the middle of your study sesh. There are tables and study spaces scattered throughout the entire building; sometimes it just takes a little exploring to find the best place for you. Treat yourself with a smoothie from French Meadow when you’re finished studying!

Noise level: It can get pretty noisy in the Rec, so I would recommend bringing along a pair of headphones if you want to escape the noise. If you want to study in a quieter spot, avoid the main level — there are definitely some more hidden areas if you go up a couple floors.

Wilson Library

Wilson Library is arguably one of the U of M’s nicest libraries. It’s located on West Bank, so it seems to be less crowded, especially later at night. That being said, Wilson is regularly open until midnight and during finals week they stay open 24 hours a day! Buckle down over there and head down to Dunn Brother’s in the basement when midterms really start to kick in and you need that extra caffeine boost! 

Noise level: The higher you go up in the library, the quieter it gets. Wilson has a noise level to accommodate every person. If you prefer more noise head downstairs to the coffee shop or stay on the main level, and if you would like some silent time try the third or fourth floor.

Bordertown Coffee

This renovated fraternity house now serves more than just great drinks – it serves our student body as one of the best places to study off campus. The inside of this coffee shop contains cozy couches and tons of tables for working on homework or projects. Bordertown even offers up their Library Room to reserve for free! If you have a big group project coming up or you and your friends want to have a study party, there’s a room in the coffee shop that you can have all to yourself for hours at a time.

Noise level: Bordertown can be moderately noisy, depending on how busy it is. Because it’s such a great and unique place, it can be pretty packed. That being said, most people go here with the intentions of getting down to business with their schoolwork.

Northrop

Home to the University Honors Program and some of the most high-profile events on our campus, doing homework in Northrop is sure to make you feel studious. The gorgeous interior contains several study rooms, tables, and there’s even Surdyk’s Café on the main level. If the weather is nice enough, snag a table on Northrop’s outside plaza! During warm weather months, there is occasionally even live music to enjoy as you study in the sun.

Noise level: On the upper levels of Northrop the noise level is pretty low. However, if you decide to study outside on the plaza or in the café area, expect a moderate amount of noise.

Coffman Memorial Union

Head over to our own student union to find a ton of great spots to study. Coffman is smack dab in the middle of our East Bank campus, making it extremely convenient to pop in during the day. Though Coffman can be super busy while class is in session, try heading up to the second or third floor for a more relaxed studying environment. There are a ton of food and drink options within the building for when you find yourself cramming for hours on end. Take a break and treat yourself to some Panda Express or other food options on the lower level. They take flexdine!

Noise level: It totally depends on where you are in the building. On the lower levels near Starbucks or the escalators it can be pretty noisy. However, it’s easy to find quieter places as you go higher in the building.

Education Sciences Building

Located on the edge of our East Bank campus, this building overlooks the river and is home to CEHD Student Services. Head down to the basement and check out the River Road Café which serves Dunn Bros and a ton of food options as well. There’s plenty of indoor and outdoor seating, all of which have an absolutely gorgeous view of downtown Minneapolis.

Noise Level: The building itself is typically near silent, but if you head downstairs to the café it can get a little bit noisier. If you’re looking for somewhere very quiet, I’d recommend grabbing your coffee and finding a table or comfy chair on another level! Happy studying, Gophers!

Kaylee Shields

Minnesota '18

Kaylee is the President and Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Minnesota. She's a junior studying journalism with a minor in leadership, and loves all things HC! Her favorite things to write about? Students who are making a difference in the UMN community, relationships and dating, and local news in the Twin Cities.