How to Enjoy Your Staycation on Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Minnesota chapter.

Spring Break is around the corner and has everyone on campus feeling like Blake Lively in this gif.

Most people take the time off to go on vacation somewhere warm, but you don’t have to jet off to the beach to have a fun and relaxing Spring Break! Luckily at the U of M we have all of Minneapolis to explore, and with the extra time off from classes, Spring Break is the perfect opportunity to do it. Even if you’re staying on campus for work or your internship, take advantage of not having to think about assignments and midterms and think about having a glorious week of treating yo’self and getting to look at something other than your laptop.

Here’s a list of some fun way to spend your time over spring break, whether you’re alone or have a few other friends around, or want to be as productive as possible!

1. Go thrift shopping.

Thrifting is a great way to save some money and find some crazy cool stuff. You can get anything from places like Savers and Goodwill, while paying a fraction of the price from normal stores. I’ve heard so many good things about both places, and it’s amazing how often I hear about people getting good deals on clothes, furniture and literally anything from thrift stores. Plus, the search is the best part of thrifting and you’ll come back with something unique and memorable.

2. Go to the restaurant you’ve heard about but have never been to.

Minneapolis has tons of great places to try out, and even some that are super close to campus. If you’ve never been to Al’s Breakfast in Dinkytown, it’s time to go since most students are off campus and there’s no line out the door. If you’ve never been to Northeast right by campus, there are a bunch of cute restaurants in that neighborhood to try out, like Glam Doll Donuts, Rusty Taco or New Bohemia.

3. Go to the Minneapolis Institute of Art or Walker Art Center.

Spend some time relaxing and looking at a massive collection of art. The MIA is free and great way to get off campus see a new part of the city. The Walker Art Center is only $9.00 for student tickets and features different exhibitions and has a cool aesthetic. Both are great way to get some culture and enjoy your non-academic time with something a little more creative. It’s also one of those things you’ve probably heard of but maybe haven’t gotten around to, and now is the best time to get it off your to-see list.

4. Binge watch a new TV series.

So this isn’t the most productive way to spend your time off, but it definitely is fun and a great way to relax. If you want something dramatic you can watch Scandal. For something lighter, Shameless is super funny and making a comeback, and Black Mirror will get you thinking. If you have Hulu, Community is also easy-to-binge-watch comedy, and Hulu gives you hundreds of more options of shows to watch. Hulu offers a free week, so it’s pretty much meant to be for your week-long break from responsibility. There’s also tons of great movies to chose from. Start making your list now so that you have optimal binge watching and relaxation time for Spring Break.

5. Get ahead on life tasks.

It’s never too soon to start looking for an internship or job, or thinking about doing things that will help you in your career. Whether you’re doing some research about different companies to intern for, getting ahead on assignments or planning out your classes for next semester, you won’t regret using this extra breathing time to alleviate some stress later.

6. Workout

The Recreation and Wellness center is open for Spring Break! The hours are a little shorter, but you can’t use class as an excuse to get a good workout in.

7. Pretend you’re a chef.

With extra time, it’s a great chance to try something new. If you’re like me you have almost no time to cook decent meals during the week, and the extra time is great of getting some serious kitchen skills. You can most definitely find a delicious sounding recipe on Pinterest, and if you make a full size dish, you’ll have leftovers for days. It’s also a fun chance to cook with new ingredients and try out new flavors. This recipe for Chickpea Gyros might be a fun one to try if you’re feeling adventurous and ambitious. Or you could just look at Pinterest for hours…

8. Sleep

Sleep is self-care and pretty much the most relaxing thing you could do. If you don’t have to work and don’t feel the need to fill your day with different activities, definitely take advantage of the extra time to catch up on some sleep.

9. Take a hike or get outside.

Minnehaha Falls is another staple activity that’s also free and outdoors. If the weather is looking good, you can easily take the lightrail right to the park and go exploring on various trails. It’s a fun way to get out in nature and get pumped for the warmer weather that’ll be coming soon. There’s also tons of other trails and green spaces around the Twin Cities to get some exploring in.

After your relaxing Spring Break staycation you’ll feel refreshed and ready to finish the last part semester. Do whatever you need to do to have a chill week and take some time to do something fun and explore all of the great opportunities the Twin Cities has to offer!

Anna Rosin

Minnesota

I'm from St. Louis, Missouri and I'm currently going to school at the University of Minnesota, located in Minneapolis.