How to Ask for Feedback (That Will Actually Help You)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Minnesota chapter.

In school, we’re taught a lot about how to give one another feedback. Whether it’s through group projects or teacher evaluations, we’ve had practice in providing others with constructive criticism—and for good reason. Feedback is vital to growth. Without knowing what we can improve on, we simply stay stagnant and cannot better ourselves as employees, students and friends.

But how can we ask for quality feedback when maybe, we aren’t getting any? If we aren’t receiving criticism, is that a good thing or a bad thing? Maybe you have a meeting set up and you want to be really prepared. Well, here are five tips on how to get the most out of a review, whether it be with your boss, professor or even your friends.

1. Make it apparent that you want to receive honest feedback.

Sometimes the truth may hurt, but it could hurt even more to not hear it. Most of us try our best to be decent human beings, and often times this means that we sugar coat things in hopes of protecting others’ feelings. Your bosses and colleagues are humans, so they’re probably conflicted with the same issue. Making it clear that you don’t want them to sugar coat anything will allow the feedback session to be more productive and if nothing else, sometimes hearing the truth is what we need to thicken our skin.

Tell them: “Though I appreciate compliments, I would love it if you could provide honest feedback so I can improve my performance. Don’t worry too much about being nice.”

2. Ask questions that focus on the future.

Receiving feedback can be hard to swallow, especially when it’s negative. If your boss or coworker is swamping you in criticism about what you’ve done wrong, put a spin on the conversation and ask what you can do it fix it. Turning their negative notes into constructive feedback can benefit your work relationship.

Try asking: “How can I improve in the future?” and, “What can I do to insure that this problem doesn’t come up again?” “

3. Follow up by asking for a review more than once.

If you have a semester-long internship, ask your supervisors to schedule a check-in once a month during your time with the company. Not only is this helpful for you to meet with your boss and ask them how you’re doing, but this can also be extremely helpful for your boss as well. Most of the time they want to see you succeed, and scheduling a time to talk with them allows them to get a feel for where you’re at and what you’d like to get out of the internship.

For example: “I’m a firm believer that feedback is vital for growth. Would you be willing to meet one-on-one on a monthly basis to review my work?”

4. Listen. Listen. Listen!

Though you may not agree with everything that is being said, remember that you asked for the truth. It’s extremely important take the other person’s perspective into consideration and realize how this will affect the conversation overall. Simply sitting back and taking in all that the other person has to say truly shows that you appreciate their time and are willing to take what they tell you to heart.

Don’t forget: Listening is so important, but it means nothing without saying thank you! Make sure you express that you’re thankful for their feedback.

5. Take notes.

Not only does writing down your boss’s comments show them that you take what they say seriously, but it will help you remember clearly. From your notes you can create goals and guidelines for yourself to improve your work.

Pro tip: It’s good to let information sink in for a little bit, but go over your notes soon after the meeting takes place. This will allow you to expand on certain points or come up with clarifying questions while everything is still fresh in your mind.

Goodluck, Gophers!

Kaylee Shields

Minnesota '18

Kaylee is the President and Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Minnesota. She's a junior studying journalism with a minor in leadership, and loves all things HC! Her favorite things to write about? Students who are making a difference in the UMN community, relationships and dating, and local news in the Twin Cities.
Anna Rosin

Minnesota

I'm from St. Louis, Missouri and I'm currently going to school at the University of Minnesota, located in Minneapolis.