Caroline Haut: Recent Graduate Following Her Heart

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Minnesota chapter.

Caroline Haut graduated from the University of Minnesota with a degree in Nutrition and Dietetics. She’s currently a research coordinator for the Minnesota Center for Eating Disorder Research, while she’s obtaining her masters in Counseling Psychology. Caroline is so passionate about making a difference and helping those who are struggling and she’s constantly making an impact on others around her with her kind soul and empathetic spirit. I asked Caroline a few questions about her experience at the U:

BASIC INFORMATION

Name: Caroline Haut

Year graduated: 2015

Major/degree: Nutrition and Dietetics/Bachelor of Science

Hometown: Waukesha, Wisconsin

Q: What is your best memory at the University of Minnesota?

A: I have been trying to think about it, and I don’t think I have one specific memory that stands out. Overall, meeting new people, living with great girls, cheering on the Gophers at football games and dancing at Homecoming concerts stick out the most. Exploring the city has been great, too! I think these experiences have combined to form special place in my heart for the U and Minnesota.

Q: What is your favorite spot near campus and why?

A: My favorite spot near campus is the Stone Arch Bridge because although I have crossed it several times a week for the past six years, it never gets old. I have witnessed the most gorgeous sunrises, sunsets, rainbows, moons while on this bridge and have made many great memories with friends and family.

Q: What activities are/were you involved in on campus and how have they enhanced your experience at the U?

A: While at the U, I was involved in the Student Organization of Nutrition and Dietetics (SOND), which provided a networking opportunity with professionals in the field and allowed me to make deeper connections with my classmates. I was also involved in the De-Stress group, which provided peer check-ins for students in distress. This introduced me to my passion for counseling and allowed me to feel like I was making a difference.

Q: What is your dream job and future aspirations?

A: I’m currently in graduate school, studying Counseling Psychology. Upon graduation with my Master’s degree, I plan to apply for licensure as a Licensed Alcohol and Drug Counselor (LADC) and pursue the Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor (LPCC). These licenses would allow me to be a mental health therapist. I know this is what I would like to do, although I am not sure with which population I would like to work with.

Q: Who is your role model and why?

A: I really admire my Grandma. I know I may be a bit biased, but she is the kindest soul with the most adorable laugh, and at the same time is not afraid to say how she feels. She lost her husband years ago and continues to stay busy volunteering at her local library gift shop and making crafts with other women. She is always outside working on her garden or eager to tell me about the latest book she’s reading. We’re pen pals, and whenever I have a letter from her sitting in my mailbox it’s pretty much impossible for it to not completely turn my day around. I hope to be half the woman she is at 80!

Q: What is the best advice you’ve ever gotten?

A: Follow your heart.

Q: What are you currently working as?

A: I am currently working as a graduate research assistant for the Minnesota Center for Eating Disorders Research in the Department of Psychiatry at the U. I’m a coordinator for various studies and conduct semi-structured clinical interviews with participants. I also oversee our wonderful volunteers. This year I am interning at Mental Health Systems, where I co-facilitate a DBT skills group for clients with substance use disorders and co-occurring mental health disorders. I am also seeing individual clients as well.

JUST FOR FUN

Q: Coffee order?

A: Small black coffee in the lightest roast you have.

Q: Favorite food?

A: Dark Chocolate.

Q: Favorite song right now?

A: Noah Cyrus: Make Me (Cry).

Q: One thing you can’t live without?

A: See coffee and chocolate questions above.

Q: One thing you love about yourself?

A: I am a good listener.

Q: One thing you’re grateful for?

A: A supportive and loving family.

Q: Celebrity dream date? 

A: Ben Higgins.

Caroline is driven to improve the lives of her clients and to make the world a better place. As you can tell, the world is already a better place with Caroline in it!

Erin Gallagher is a sophomore at the University of Minnesota studying child psychology. Her dream job is being a therapist for adolescents and helping them through their difficult times. In her freetime, she loves to lift weights at the gym and see movies with her friends. Follow her on Instagram to see what she's up to! @eringallagher96
Anna Rosin

Minnesota

I'm from St. Louis, Missouri and I'm currently going to school at the University of Minnesota, located in Minneapolis.