All the Student Discounts You Can Get for Your Birthday

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Minnesota chapter.

If you’re anything like me (a broke college student), you probably love shopping and, most importantly, discounts. It seems like stores have discounts for everything: St. Patrick’s Day, Valentine’s Day, the first day of Spring, etc. But there’s nothing better than treating yourself on your birthday, with discounts no one else can get but you. Here is a list of discounts you can get; some for food, some for clothes, some local, some online-only, but all worthy.

Benihana

Benihana is a great teppanyaki restaurant with various locations all over Minnesota. The closest to campus is in Golden Valley, but they also have one at Mall of America and Maple Grove. For this discount, you have to sign up to join their “Chef’s Table”, which is their email subscription. Make sure you do this before your birthday so they can send you $30 off your next meal. Some restrictions? You must print off the certificate, have an ID, go Monday through Thursday and someone else must purchase a full-priced entree so your’s gets the discount. The food is delicious, so totally worth it. Sign up here.

Red Cow

Red Cow has amazing burgers, so this is definitely for the meat lovers. They have four different locations where you can cash your free birthday burger. By subscribing to their e-club, you will receive a certificate for a completely free burger on the month of your birthday. The certificate is only valid for three weeks and you also get a $10 discount just for signing up. These two discounts cannot be used at the same time, but they are totally worth it! Check it out here.

Red Rabbit

The sister restaurant of Red Cow, Red Rabbit focuses on pizzas and pasta. This one is pretty much the same deal. Sign up for their e-club, get a certificate for a free pizza, get a $10 coupon and redeem them within three weeks. To subscribe, visit their website.

Now with the clothes!

American Eagle

American Eagle is a great store to shop at and signing up for their rewards is great. Not only do you get exclusive deals and occasional free shipping, but a special 15% coupon for your birthday. You’ll get it at the beginning of your birthday month and it is valid for a one-time use until the end of the month. You can use it on any American Eagle, Aerie, or Tailgate purchase so go ahead and enjoy!

Hollister

I was skeptical when my friends told me to look at Hollister for sweaters. It reminded me to my middle school days of buying overpriced logo t-shirts. Nonetheless, they do have pretty good quality sweaters, jeans and shorts. For your birthday, they give you 25% off an order of $75 or more. If you need to stock up on jeans or shorts for the spring and summer, now is the time to do it. You also earn double points, which can lead to $5 or $10 off. All you need to do is subscribe to their newsletter, and you’re good to go!  

Aldo

Aldo is an amazing shoe store which, normally, is a bit overpriced for me. I signed up for their newsletter because when they have deals, they have amazing deals (I’m talking $25 shoes that will last you 10 years). If you sign up for their emails, you can get 20% off any full-priced item. It is a one-time use discount, so use it wisely, and make sure you use it before the end of your birthday month!

Happy birthday to all those celebrating and enjoy the great discounts of being born!

Junior at the University of Minnesota Twin Cities, with a major in Political Science and minors in Economics and Portuguese. Grew up in San Jose, Costa Rica. Love to play volleyball even though I'm short, read in my spare time (actual fun books not textbooks lol), and hang out with my friends.
Jillian McMahan

Minnesota '19

Jillian McMahan is a senior studying child psychology at the University of Minnesota. She aspires to one day be the Leslie Knope of her workplace.