18 New Year’s Resolutions for Every Collegiette

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Minnesota chapter.

It’s the same thing every single New Year. Most of us make some sort of lofty resolution to lose weight or travel the world, and most of us don’t stick to working at our goals much past the first month. Well, it’s about to be 2017 and I think it’s time to be more realistic. Here’s a list of simple New Year’s resolutions that can make a huge impact, and any collegiette can make time for.

1. Try making at least one friend in every class you have.

2. Really nail down a solid cover letter and resume.

3. Explore new exercise routines. Focus more on staying healthy and fit and less on losing weight.

4. Invest in a planner you love and stick with it.

5. Attempt a monthly budget… and do your best to stick to it!

6. Read something once a month simply for pleasure.

7. Stop pressing the snooze button.

8. Try your hand at meal prep. Regularly doing this at the beginning of the week can save you money and so much time.

9. Go on a blind date if you’re single. Get more creative with your dates if you’re committed.

10. Call your family or loved ones on a more regular basis.

11. Give coupon-clipping a shot.

12. Write more letters – snail mail is still cool.

13. Try that haircut or color you’ve been daydreaming about for so long.

14. Tackle a new leadership role on campus or join a student group that sounds interesting.

15. Land an internship or a job, if you’re looking for one.

16. Don’t wear sweatpants outside of your house, unless you’re going to the gym. Dress for success.

17. Actually go to your professors’ office hours.

18. Force yourself to step out of your comfort zone at least once a week – once a day if you’re feeling particularly bold.

Whether your goals for the new year are major or minor, they’re all significant. Start small if you need to, but get out there and make something happen! Trust me, 2017 is going to be your best year yet.

Kaylee Shields

Minnesota '18

Kaylee is the President and Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Minnesota. She's a junior studying journalism with a minor in leadership, and loves all things HC! Her favorite things to write about? Students who are making a difference in the UMN community, relationships and dating, and local news in the Twin Cities.