Career

Women Of Color In Business: Four Influential Entrepreneurs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

In the world of business, as unfair as it is, it can be very difficult for women of color to jumpstart a business because of the prejudice and bias that takes place. But, these five women didn’t listen to those voices. They ran with their ideas and didn’t let the nature of some of society stop their successes. Here are four powerful girl bosses that built themselves an empire in the world of business.

Jacque Aye

Jacque Aye, opened Adorned by Chi in October 2015 when she was only 21 years old. Her small business was entirely self funded and she built it from the ground up. When sharing her thoughts with The Network Journal, she offers some entrepreneurial advice. She states, “I’ve learned that you can’t go it alone. You need a tribe to push and inspire you to reach your highest potential”.

Tiffany Aliche

As featured on Forbes, MSNBC, the Today Show, and many more, Tiffany “The Budgetnista” Aliche is an influential financial educator. As the bestselling author of The One Week Budget and a number of other books, Aliche is a spokesperson for a number of businesses and an influencer for the 700,000 women that participate in her LIVE RICHER challenges. Aliche is truly changing the financial game and helping the lives of many with means of savings and budgeting.

Mikaila Ulmer

At just eleven years old, Mikaila Ulmer runs her own lemonade company called Me and the Bees Lemonade which can be found in Starbucks and Whole Foods across the country. While participating in a children’s business competition, she came up with the idea for the pitch. Not only is she killing the game at just eleven years old, she is also donating the profits from each bottle to organizations that protect honeybees.

Melinda Emerson

As America’s #1 small business expert, Melinda Emerson is a marketing coach that has been featured in The New York Times, Fox News, and much more. She has published a book called “Become Your Own Boss in 12 Months” and runs a wildly successful blog since 2009 helping people learn how to work for themselves. Also, local to Millersville, she is from Philadelphia, PA.

Libby Sweet

Millersville '22

Libby Sweet is a freshman at Millersville University. She is a Public Relations major who is involved in Relay for Life, the Public Relations Student Society of America, and HerCampus. In her free time, she enjoys making music, making art, and manifesting her goals. She is also vegetarian and is passionate about the wellbeing of those around her. To hear more from Libby, follow her on Instagram at @sweetliibby.
The top fashion and lifestyle magazine for college women! Located in Millersville, PA <3