Summer Sixteen: Get It Right, Get It Tight

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

Summer 2016 is only 94 days away from us! Along with that comes with seeing all the bikini racks out at every store possible and all of the cute summer clothes that you really want to wear. So it’s time for you to get it together and put in some work for that bikini bod! I have been devoted to my gym a lot these past couple of months because I already know how fast summer can creep up. When I get in the gym, I make sure to have my workout playlist ready and my positive/dedicated attitude for accomplishing an intense workout. I am by no means a fitness specialist, but however I do know a handful of awesome workouts for target areas that I have discovered through Pinterest and by watching some YouTube videos. Not only have these workouts trimmed back some inches, but I have also lost about 18 pounds in the past year. This doesn’t seem like a lot, but feels like a big difference. As they say, its the small steps everyday that make a big difference!

So the first workout I want to share target your core/abs area.

For additional ab exercises, click here!

This is perfect for working off that slight muffin top you might have lingering since the beginning of the year. Plus these moves are really easy and they don’t require any additional equipment besides maybe a yoga mat. I always do the criss-cross (try doing three sets of 12 reps for each leg), flutter kicks (three sets, 12 reps) and crunches (three sets, 30 reps) on ab day because they give you a good burn. Another workout that not only works on your abs but also your lovehandles, I like to call side-burners. Lift a kettlebell with one arm, then keep your arm straight by your side. You will begin to lean to the side with the kettlebell (or dumbell) and reach as far as you are comfortable towards the ground. After multiple reps, you will definitely understand why I named it that! For this exercise and more kettlebell workouts, click here.

One of my favorite excercises I do almost every workout is definitely squats with a weight-bar. This is the PERFECT excercise to do to build up a nice big booty as well as toning up them legs at the same time. Lately I have been lifting a 40 pound bar, but my advice is to start off light and work your way up to heavier lifting (three sets, 15 reps). Here is what it looks like:

For additional booty exercises, click here!

Another area I like to focus on is my thighs, this is extremely important for the summer season since the heat is so scorching in those go-to is short-shorts! I use the thigh-machines most of the time but occassionally I like to do some free exercises. Here is a good exercise to try for tightening up those inner and outer thighs:

Hopefully these exercises will help you prepare for summer 2016 and so you can be glowing, happy and fabulously fit!

XOXO, HCM

Angelica Lopez

Millersville

Hello my fellow Collegiate ladies! I am currently a Senior at Millersville University studying communications and public relations. I joined Her Campus in January 2014 as a contributing writer. It was the best decision I ever made in my college career because it gave me excellent opportunities and a chance to meet an awesome group of collegiate women just like me! I have served as publicity director and I am currently the vice president of the Millersville Chapter. I am a lover of fashion, photography, all things make-up related and creative.
The top fashion and lifestyle magazine for college women! Located in Millersville, PA <3