courtney cook uoHvtkDcH8M unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
courtney cook uoHvtkDcH8M unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Meet Emily, a Legendary Woman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

One of my most favorite things about college is that it is FULL of interesting and amazing people! This semester, I met a girl named Emily in my science fiction class. The more I got to know her, the more I realized she is a super awesome girl boss. Emily is in a band (Local News Legend, check them out!), creates music, is super interesting, and is a great friend. So of course, I had to interview her for Her Campus! Hopefully she’ll inspire you to live your dreams, like she has done for me!

Tell me a little bit about yourself!

My name’s Emily, and I’m a freshman majoring in Environmental Hazards and Emergency Management! While school is in session, my free time is usually spent either doing homework, playing video games with my friends, and sometimes going to shows, but during the summer I’m playing music and going to shows almost every other day! My passions are pretty much anything related to music and art, and a lot of pop culture (especially Star Wars, Marvel, Nightmare on Elm Street, and whole bunch of 80s stuff).

How long have you been making music?

I’ve been making music for about 3 years, but I’ve been taking guitar and voice lessons for around 9 years.

What’s your favorite part about being in a band?

My favorite part about being in a band is definitely that it forces me into going out and talking to people, and spending time with my friends. Being stuck in a car with 4 people cause we’re all going to play a show in some odd state is the best way of getting to know people.

Any advice for people wanting to create music or anything else?

Creating music is definitely different for everyone, I personally just write lyrics when I’m super upset and just be completely honest about whatever I’m thinking. That usually helps a lot.

What is it like going on tour?

It’s super fun but at the same time super frustrating. This one time, my band went to go play this really big punk festival in upstate New York called SinFest, the actual show was really fun but getting there and finding places to stay was such a hassle. One of our band members is a little younger than the rest of us, and he wasn’t too financially helpful, and having two women in the band we didn’t necessarily feel safe sleeping on some random older punk dude’s floor like the younger member had planned for us , so we had to drop money on a hotel last minute and finding a hotel last minute is REALLY HARD. It was really expensive and that was a bummer cause that would have went towards gas, and you always gotta worry about getting to your next destination safe and stuff. But when you’re not worrying about that stuff, meeting so many new people and people telling you that they like your music is the best feeling in the world!  

Who are your role models?

My role models are definitely my friend Jonas, Hank Green, Dodie Clarke, Lorna Doom, Carrie Fisher, Erik Petersen, and so many other friends.

What is your dream job?

My dream job is to just play music, or get paid to read books or be a famous Youtuber. I wanted to be a youtuber since I was in like 7th grade, but I don’t really care for learning about cameras so that will never happen!

What is the biggest thing college has taught you so far?

You actually have to buckle down and study hard, tests are a lot more difficult after high school.  

If you could have any superpower, what would it be and why?

Super Strength, just because I really like Jessica Jones, and that’s her power. I also wanna feel safe walking to my car/back to my house at night, I think that would help.

Emily’s Favorites:

Book: 2001: A Space Odyssey

Band: The Germs or Mischief Brew

Movie Genre: Horror/Sci-Fi

Guilty Pleasure: I eat Feta cheese right out of the container, a lot

TV Show: Jessica Jones or Last Week Tonight

Class in college: Science Fiction with Doctor Miller!

Food: Pho

Quote:  “Doubt thou the stars are fire; Doubt that the sun doth moves; Doubt truth to be a liar; But never doubt I love.”

Form of social media: Facebook!

Tattoo of yours: The zombie hand holding an Evil Dead VHS tape on the back of my left arm

Don’t be afraid to reach out to new people. Everyone has a story that is worth hearing. So go out and listen!

HCXO,

Hannah N

All images courtesy of Emily

Hannah Newman

Millersville '20

Hannah Newman is a senior at Millersville University, studying Early Childhood Education with an integrative STEM methods minor. She has been writing for Her Campus for over two years, and is loving being the president of such an awesome chapter.