This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

Things seem to get inevitably more stressful when school starts. As someone who deals with the everyday struggles of anxiety, getting back into a regular schedule and controlling my stress is even more difficult.  

These are a few things that alleviate my anxiety: 

• Listening to music  

I prefer the Apple Music playlist “FEELS” in times like this. It’s a collection of expressive yet calming music that fits into multiple music categories.  

• Going on a walk 

A short walk anywhere around campus will do, but I enjoy walking to the pond. If the walk there hasn’t relaxed my mood any, the beautiful scenery there will.  

• Taking a long shower 

For me, hopping in a hot shower is the most relaxing of all, partially because I have a lavender Aromatherapy Wallflower from Bath & Body Works plugged into my bathroom receptacle, and partially because I like to stand under the shower head.  

I know these may seem like super basic coping skills, but I’ve realized that even the simple things can really help change my mood.  

Even though knowing how to manage and relieve anxiety is important, it’s also important knowing how to reduce the number of things that can trigger your anxiety. For me, along with many other university students, procrastinating schoolwork has always caused me loads of stress in the end. It’s essential to realize this and find ways to prevent that from happening. 

If stress or anxiety ever feels like it’s too much to handle, let someone know. Don’t be afraid to ask for help!  

HCXO,

Tia

Tia Strunk

Millersville '24

Hi! I’m Tia Strunk, a junior, and a biology major with a social justice minor at Millersville University. Some subjects I’m passionate about are social justice, women empowerment, mental health, and traveling.