This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.
“Without great solitude, no serious work is possible” – Pablo Picasso

Living in America in 2020, it’s hard to focus on the good. So many terrible things have happened this year and so many lives have been lost. We are also in what could possibly be one of the most important presidential elections in American history, one that could determine the outcome of our future, and even if we’ll have one. While it can be incredibly upsetting, it is extremely important to be an informed citizen. I will never be one to tell people to stop paying attention, to look away from the news and the suffering, but I think it is just as important to look at the good as it is too acknowledge the bad. It can be hard, seemingly impossible, but finding one tiny, good thing is how we find hope for a change and hope for a better future.

COVID-19 put Americans in quarantine in March and most of us spent months inside (or at least you should have) and a lot of us have still not seen friends or family in order to help protect those whose lives could be in danger from this virus.  I know the Coronavirus brought heartbreak to many families, and I am not trying to erase or diminish that even in the slightest, but I would like to share some of the good that came out of quarantine. The small goods don’t cancel out the monumental bads, but it’s start. I had to return home during my sophomore year of college to finish the rest of the year online. For me, that meant spending more time with my dogs and cat and appreciating my job way more than I might have before. I spent the summer working at a pet camp and I found myself appreciating my time outside so much more because of the hours I spent cooped up in my house. I was able to tackle my bookshelves and read more in those months than I have for a long time. I watched movie after movie and found countless new favorites. Separation made the heart grow fonder and I had zoom sessions with friends where we were able to have virtual movie nights and talk for hours. Most importantly, it gave me time with my parents. As an only child, my parents are my best friends. I miss them terribly at school and having all those months to connect with them was so special for me.

Balcony concerts during COVID pandemic
United Nations COVID-19 Response from Unsplash

For the country, quarantine also found ways in bringing us together in the strangest ways. Who knew a documentary series about Joe Exotic could unite the country better than the President? The New York Times bestseller list was topped by fictional books about plagues and non-fiction books about anti-racism. So many people, myself included, began making it a priority to educate themselves and become a better citizen and ally. Musicians began performing concerts from their living rooms and drive-in. movies have made a comeback. It’s hard to imagine how much art will be coming out of these months of isolation but I cannot wait to find out.

2020 might seem like a nightmare, but the good thing about nightmares is that they inevitably come to an end. It won’t be easy, but I am confident that the world will overcome this and be stronger because of it. Until then, look for the good. It makes life a little more bearable and hope for the future a little more possible.

HCXO, Maeve

Maeve Corrigan

Millersville '22

Maeve Corrigan is a senior at Millersville University studying Communications with a minor in English. She is an avid reader with a deep love for music, film, and animals, especially her two dogs (Phoebe and Ruby) and cat (Ivy).
The top fashion and lifestyle magazine for college women! Located in Millersville, PA <3