Life Lessons from Ultimate #GirlBoss: Leslie Knope

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

If you’re anything like me, you probably spend way too much time watching Netflix. I’ve been through The Office countless times and was recommended Parks and Recreation. I finally decided to watch it and fell in love! There are so many great personalities exemplified. The most prominent is main character Leslie Knope. Leslie is a major #girlboss! Here are some life lessons we can all take from Leslie.

1. Dedication

Working for the government, Leslie is often faced with setbacks to accomplish the goals she works so hard to achieve. But does she let that stop her? Never! She takes these setbacks as a chance to push back even harder and and is even more motivated to see her way through. 

2. Caring

Leslie easily has the biggest heart of anyone on this show. From trying to help set her friends up with people, to telling them constantly she loves them, to buying and making them thoughtful gifts for the made up anniversaries she has with them, to throwing parties, and helping them out in any way possible; Leslie is one of the most friendly and goodhearted people I have ever witnessed.

3. Passion

With everything she does, Leslie does it with a full heart. She loves her husband, her friends, her job, and she is always looking for ways to make them happy and make her work even better. She just genuinely loves trying to make the world (esp Pawnee), a better place.

4. Honesty

Though caring, Leslie is also not afraid to tell someone they messed up or if she’s upset with them. She’ll always make it right or help fix the problem, but she never lives in silence.

5. Activism

Like most of us, Leslie often gets annoyed at how old fashioned Pawnee and the country can be about women’s rights. She never takes no for an answer and always fights for the equality of women.

6. Enjoying the little things

Leslie is always getting excited over something, be it a political victory, a friend coming to see her, or a plate of waffles at JJ’s Diner, Leslie is very content with the simple pleasures of life. 

7. Having fun!

After a long day of work–if she isn’t doing overtime–she loves going out with her colleagues and having a crazy time! I think we all need a break every once in awhile

8. Strength

No task is ever too big for Leslie, bring on the challenges! She is constantly working and taking on seemingly impossible tasks and tackles them.

I admire Leslie Knope for all the solid attributes she has and everything she stands for. Personally, I think if we all took one lesson from Leslie, the world would be a better place.

All gifs courtesy of Giphy.com

Alyssa Dicker

Millersville '20

Alyssa will be graduating in May 2020 with her bachelors in Communications-Public Relations. She also is double minoring in English-Journalism and Marketing. Drawing inspiration from her relationship since 2014, Alyssa's favorite topics to write about are relationships and relationship advice. After school, she is getting married in October to her fiance Brandon, an ICU nurse at UPMC Pinnacle. Professionally, she hopes to work somewhere where she can be an advocate for children. 
The top fashion and lifestyle magazine for college women! Located in Millersville, PA <3