Style > Beauty

“I Woke Up Like This,” a Peer Educators’ Beauty Campaign Event

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

In the spirit of Beyonce (which all lives in us) the Center for Health Education and Promotion (CHEP) is hosting a campus-wide event through the Peer Educators Program.

“I Woke Up Like This,” which will be held in the SMC Atruim on Thursday February 25th 6:30-9 p.m., will promote loving yourself in all forms, your gender, your skin and your body. Students can come out and enjoy refreshments while taking photos and meeting new people around campus.

We’re heavily influenced by our society which values flawless performance and places great emphasis on winning and performing perfectly. As college students dealing with a lot of pressure and life changes, we often lose sight of the fact that we can value ourselves in spite of making mistakes. While it is only natural to care about performing as well as we can within the classroom, it is also important to learn how to feel good about ourselves just for who we are.

Ongoing frustration or attempting things that we have difficulty with can lead to feelings of awkwardness and inadequacy. It doesn’t take long for us to experience these feelings and to find our self-confidence decreasing.

Through the beauty campaign event “I Woke Up Like This,” students will get a chance to let their guard down and really embrace who they are in a safe environment with their peers.  According to the College Bound Network, “Classroom misfortunes, conflicts with peers, and failures in love can make college a breeding ground for self-esteem issues.” The peer educator programs are set in place to help students balance both their social and academic lives and they are doing just that here on Millersville’s campus.

For more information about this event and others in the future, click here. This event is free and open to all Millersville students and faculty. 

Amirah Mikell

Millersville

Amirah Mikell is currently pursuing a bachelor’s degree in Speech Communications with a specialization in Public Relations at the University of Millersville Pennsylvania. She is a senior enrolled in media law, entrepreneurship and public relation courses. Mikell has interned with the Lancaster Mediation Center which is a non-profit organization where she practiced public relations writing skills, coordinating events, and writing organizational intakes. She currently holds a managerial position at a women's boutique in Lancaster where she performs daily task such as keeping track of sales, implementing visual enhancements, and promoting positivity throughout the company.She is serving as Vice President for Her Campus which focuses on creative writing for collegiettes.. Mikell is expected to graduate in the Spring of 2016, where she will go on in furthering her career as a public relations professional.