This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

I’ve always loved writing. I would sit at my desk in middle school, writing stories on pieces of notebook paper and jotting down whatever popped into my head. Filled journals, hundreds of Google Docs with stories and poems written, and writing for HerCampus all have allowed me to flourish with whatever I decided I was going to write next.

Writing has always been an outlet for me, no matter the case. I write when I’m happy, sad, frustrated–you name it, my pen is to the paper. It has been this way ever since I was little. No matter what I was going through, I was able to write about it.

I think that the reason that I do this is because it provides an outlet for me to get out all of the ideas that are constantly flowing through my head. This is why HerCampus is and has been such a blessing for me–because I can write whatever my heart desires! It’s a great way to write about my passions, my opinions, my hopes and dreams, and more.

Here are the main reasons that I write!

It gets my emotions down on paper

I’ve found that, whenever I am going through the ups and downs of life, it’s just good to get it down onto paper. Writing in a journal is something that I try to keep a routine with, just so I can get into a habit of ending my day (or starting it!) with articulating how I’m feeling through words.

It’s a good stress-reliever

I always find that, after a good session of writing, I’m much more clear-minded and feel a little more stress-free than I did before. Writing down what’s stressing me out has always been a good way for me to analyze the sources of the stress and helps me to find good ways to tackle it.

It helps me to be more in-touch with myself

Writing is a good way to communicate with yourself, if that makes sense. Think of it as if you’re venting to a friend–get down everything that’s going on and read it over, so that you can think things over, be grateful for things you’re doing, or simply to get out some of the stressors of your day.

If you don’t already write, I encourage you to do so. It’s a great way to stay in tune with yourself!

HCXO, Alexandra

Hi I'm Alexandra! I'm an English major with a concentration in writing studies, along with a minor in film studies, at Millersville University. I love to write, take pictures of anything and everything, and spend time with my family and friends. <3