freestocks r oV6smBBYk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
freestocks r oV6smBBYk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

In the Eye of the Beholder: What Does Love Mean to You?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

Happy Valentine’s week, collegiettes! What a wonderful time to love and be loved. This week, I took to campus to interview several students on what love means to them. Many of the responses are unique. Some students are single and pursuing love, others are in a relationship defining their own ideal relationship, and others await love as they seek understanding and indulgence of their self. Either way, love is a beautiful thing, so let’s hear what these student have to say about their definitions of love.

What does love mean to you?

Rachel S., 20, a student in a relationship at Millersville University says, “Love to me is being able to see a future in that person and wanting to put that person before yourself.”

Wyatt D., 22, a communication studies student at Millersville who is currently finding his own way through love says, “I think love for me is truly intertwined with self love. To be with someone wholly and completely while also being able to love yourself. How can you truly love someone if you don’t love yourself? The person also inspires you to grow and accepts you for all that you are. And you inspire and accept them so in the end it’s two people growing and changing and building together on themselves and each other.”

Another student at Harrisburg Area Community College, Angie J., 23, is single and finding her own concept of self love. Angie states, “Love is the warm feeling that flows through your body like an electrical current. It’s being able to accept flaws and eventually growing to appreciate those quirky traits that make a person unique. Love is that feeling in the pit of your stomach when you feel as if you might burst open with a million butterflies.”

Rachel Y., a 21-year-old public relations major at Millersville is currently in a relationship and defines love as, “having someone to always count on, to always go to on your good or bad days, someone who respects you as much as you respect them, someone to trust, someone who’s always down to go to Chipotle or Chik-Fil-A with you, and someone who can see though your bad days and love you anyway. It’s fun and exciting most of the time and the good days outweigh the bad.”

What is your ideal relationship?

R.S.: ”Me and my boyfriend actually met through Tinder and we didn’t talk for a while, but somehow reconnected and now we’re like crazy in love. He makes me so happy and I feel like we’re each other’s #1 fans. It’s more than a relationship; we’ve become best friends.”

W.D.: “I think my ideal relationship complements all aspects of myself. They stimulate and inspire me positively, intellectually, spiritually, physically, and emotionally. Sense of humor is always important.”

A.J.: “Right now, being single is so liberating and I’m learning about myself so in order for someone to change that — they would have to be extraordinary. Ideally someone who is kind, understanding of my ways, intelligent, and can make me laugh. Someone who understands my sense of humor and drives me everyday to become a better version of myself. Also, someone who is willing to own a bunch of dogs with me.”

R.Y.: “My ideal relationship would be the one I’m in now. It’s fun and doesn’t get old. You always show that you appreciate and value each other. I also think it’s huge if your parents and friends like your significant other. Being in a relationship where both people are trustworthy, respectful, and loyal is a must too!”

What are daily activities you do to practice self love?

R.S.: “I love myself by living by the phrase ‘treat yo self’ and always spoiling myself with something I love. I’ve aso been trying to eat healthier and go to the gym and Zumba more often.”

W.D.: “I really take five minutes out of my day every day and just think about all of the thing I love about myself. Don’t be afraid of being too cocky or egotistical, celebrate yourself in those five minutes.”

A.J.: “I do my best to work out or practice yoga every day, making sure I enjoy the hard work I’m putting in. I also do my best not to overwork myself by giving myself a ‘treat yo self’ day every now and again. I also find that self love comes easier when I begin my day with positive affirmations.”

R.Y.: “I love sleeping in so I try to do that as often as I can, and I go to the gym almost every day. I love doing my makeup. Every day I am working towards my degree. I also like to celebrate goals when I accomplish them!”

Will you know love when you see it?

R.S.: “I think so! I always thought people were crazy when they said, “I love you,” like two months in [their relationship] but now that’s me and my boyfriend.”

W.D.: “Yeah, absolutely. And obviously timing and not rushing into anything is important too. It’s a balance that needs to be found in every relationship. But ultimately feeling open and openly expressing is one of the biggest signs of trust.”

A.J.: “I’m sure! If it’s really love, there won’t be any doubt.”

R.Y.: “I’ve learned that love and relationships aren’t always about what someone looks like — it’s a lot deeper than that. It’s hard to know what love is because it’s a feeling you get, it’s not what you see.”

There you have it, collegiettes. Love can mean anything to anyone, what is most important is your interpretation of love. Remember to love yourself through any decision you make. You are your number one priority, make sure you know it.

*Image courtesy of Pinterest

Isis Waller

Millersville

My name is Isis Waller. I am currently a senior at Millersville University. My major is Speech Communications with an option in public relations and I minor in Entrepreneurship! I am currently located where the cows moo me to sleep in Lancaster, PA. Some of my favorite things are chocolate, glitter, my boyfriend, the Chanels from Scream Queens and every single American Horror Story season... EVER. I am very into Halloween. At this point I am so in into fall my blood type might as well be pumpkin spice, haha!
The top fashion and lifestyle magazine for college women! Located in Millersville, PA <3