Black Girl Magic: The Hashtag That is Winning Us Over

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

For the past few weeks on social media, the hashtag “#blackgirlmagic” has been used to express black individuality, creativity and empowerment amongst African American women. With the recent injustices that have been circulating throughout the media involving the black community, “Black Girl Magic” has resurfaced as a metaphor used to symbolize the power that we as black women and young girls possess.

Originally coined by blogger CaShawn Thompson back in 2014, black girls and women would collectively embody the very essence of magic and spend the following years breaking down barriers, setting records, and shattering pervasive negative stereotypes (which we have done effortlessly) using this phrase. Not only has “Black Girl Magic” transcended into a meaning of courage and positive self-esteem for women of color, it has also given young black girls a platform to showcase their “magic” in ways unimaginable.

Some well-known celebs like our infamous FLOTUS Michelle Obama, Beyonce, Viola Davis, Amanda Stenberg and many others are inspiring #blackgirlmagic posts throughout social media.

Julee Wilson, senior fashion editor of The Huffington Post, describes Black Girl Magic as “a term used to illustrate the universal awesomeness of black women. It’s about celebrating anything we deem particularly dope, inspiring or mind-blowing about ourselves.”

Jamescia Thomas of CNN, also says that “’Black girl magic is more than a hashtag; it’s a movement.” It is being used among black women to celebrate their power and beauty, and most importantly bringing, everyone together and embracing what makes them so great!”

And that’s exactly what this term means for me, and many others like myself! 

As a young, black, college-educated woman in today’s ever-changing society, the accomplishments that we make daily are continuously overshadowed by false racial stereotypes, inaccurate media coverage, and blatant ignorance towards black issues. #blackgirlmagic is the term now most commonly used on social networking sites like Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, that wipes all of those negative things away (if only for a moment) and brings to the forefront what all woman of color posses: creativity, passion, love, depth, and transformation!

#blackgirlmagic is not a term being used as a way to exclude non-woman of color, or to make anyone who is not African American feel less than, it is simply a way for African American women to raise awareness of our uniqueness, and the diversities that makes the essence of being a black woman and young girl so magical and divine.

Amirah Mikell

Millersville

Amirah Mikell is currently pursuing a bachelor’s degree in Speech Communications with a specialization in Public Relations at the University of Millersville Pennsylvania. She is a senior enrolled in media law, entrepreneurship and public relation courses. Mikell has interned with the Lancaster Mediation Center which is a non-profit organization where she practiced public relations writing skills, coordinating events, and writing organizational intakes. She currently holds a managerial position at a women's boutique in Lancaster where she performs daily task such as keeping track of sales, implementing visual enhancements, and promoting positivity throughout the company.She is serving as Vice President for Her Campus which focuses on creative writing for collegiettes.. Mikell is expected to graduate in the Spring of 2016, where she will go on in furthering her career as a public relations professional.