stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

Being at Peace with Your Path

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

In the age of social media, it’s incredibly easy to compare ourselves to other people. So many people on my timeline went to elaborate places for spring break, while I stayed at home and watched Netflix and let crumbs collect in the folds of my sweatshirt. I thought to myself, “What am I doing wrong? Why aren’t I lying on a beach getting tan sipping margs? Don’t I work hard enough?”

College-aged people – whether they’re actually in college or not- are doing all sorts of things. Getting married, having kids, attending school, working a full-time job, etc. When you look around, everyone seems to be ahead of you, or simply in a better place than you. Everyone else seems to have it all figured out; their plan for the future, whether it be tomorrow or three years from now.

You must stay away from these mental traps! Take a look at your own social media pages. From an outsider’s perspective, do you look like you have everything figured out? Do you look happy-go-lucky and free from all burdens and stress? Of course you do. Because we certainly aren’t going to post a picture on Instagram that shows the bags under our eyes or the countless nights we’ve spent shoveling junk found in our mouths while we studied. Instead, we only post about the good things we experience. So to others, we look like we have our s***t together! Social media only ever shows the nice parts of our lives; not the fact that so-and-so did actually work 40+ hour weeks to afford that spring break that only lasted a few days. 

The truth is, no matter how old you are, you will never have it all figured it out. Growing up, my parents always said that they still didn’t know what they wanted to do when they grew up. Hearing that as a little kid, I would laugh. But thinking about it now, they were trying to tell me that no one has all the answers, and no one is ever certain of the future. It’s okay to not know what your next step is, or to not have a direct plan. Guess what? No one does!

Take a deep breath. Stop comparing yourself. Be happy and be you!

HCXO

Jessica Moore

Millersville

I'm currently a junior at Millersville Unversity studying biology! I started at HC as a first semester freshman and have been with it ever since. Along with writing passionately for Her Campus, I am also a member of Alpha Sigma Tau.  My passions include reading, writing, animals, and food. In my spare time, I thoroughly enjoy binging netflix, reading a good book, and taking naps.  Instagram: @jessy_poo96 Twitter: @jessy_poo96