7 Ways To Cope With Anxiety And Stress

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

As a new school year begins, anxiety and stress arise along with the growing amount of homework and projects. As someone who has been dealing with anxiety for much of my life, here are a few tips and tricks that I have picked up along the way to help get through this school year.

*Note: I am NOT a medical professional or counselor. Anxiety can be a genuine problem and if you or a loved one are concerned contact a doctor for help. As a sufferer of anxiety, these are just some tactics I have used to control it better.

1. Workout

A wonderful way to release built up tension in your body caused by anxiety and stress is to hit the gym, go on a run, or just stay active in general. You will not only relieve some of this anxiety, but also stay healthy.

2. Find a Creative Outlet

Find a hobby or activity to help keep your mind off of whatever stress you’re worrying about. Find what you enjoy doing and also relaxes you. Painting and drawing are good activities to keep your mind occupied while letting you express yourself.

3. Surround Yourself with Friends

Keeping friends around is always a good distraction. Laughing and spending quality time with the people you are closest with will help keep you thinking positive and happy. Being cooped up in your room all day can sometimes only make you feel worse.

4.Talk to Someone

Talking to someone about what makes you anxious and stressed will prevent your feelings from bottling up. Consult a family member or close friend, perhaps they can even offer advice or tips on how they deal with it. Almost everyone deals with stress and most people have experienced anxiety in some form, so talking to them will assure you that you are not alone.

5. Take Care of Yourself

Eating right and taking good care of yourself will not only make you feel more confident but also put together. When you have yourself together, it is easier to keep other aspects of your life in order. No, this does not necessarily mean beating your face with tons of make up and wearing nice clothes, it is doing whatever it is you like in order to feel confident.

6. Stay Organized and Prepared

In efforts to reduce stress and worry, keep a planner and have a general schedule of things you need/want to accomplish. Make lists, mark dates and look into what you need in order to be prepared and successful in whatever you’re taking on. Staying on top of assignments and homework help eliminate the stress associated with classes.

7. Always Remember; It will be OK

Anxiety and stress can make you feel physically sick or achy. Remind yourself that it is just anxiety, and you are fine, and you will get through it. No matter how tough it seems in that moment, it always turns out okay. Don’t stress too much on the small stuff and focus on your responsibilities and how to make the most out of everything!

*All images courtesy of Giphy

Allison Tarr

Millersville

Hi! Im Allison Tarr from Pottstown, Pennsylvania. I am currently a freshmen studying Statistics. My hobbies include shopping, going to the gym and hanging out with friends. I also love writing, watercolor painting and doing makeup. 
The top fashion and lifestyle magazine for college women! Located in Millersville, PA <3