BTC MAIN?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
BTC MAIN?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Her Campus Media
Career

What it was Like to Transfer to A New School During COVID-19

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami chapter.

I got to admit, transferring into a new school during COVID-19 was not easy. Having orientation online, classes online, and club meetings online made it extremely difficult to meet new people and put yourself out there, let alone learning anything about the campus or where anything is located. I remember thinking to myself the second my parents left, “Hm… what now? I do not know anyone or know what to do on campus.” Believe it or not though, it was not as difficult as you may think.

The primary way to have an easy transition into a new school as a transfer student is get involved as much as possible. This could include joining clubs, saying hi to new and familiar faces, and overall, just putting yourself out there. Make the most out of this new start and take advantage of every opportunity that crosses your path. Even something as small as eating at the dining hall could allow you to meet new people. 

Reaching out to people over Instagram and Snapchat also helped my transition into a new school. Although it may sound a little weird, direct messaging people is the main reason how I got to meet most of my current friends. Similar to using the private Facebook group to find a roommate, introducing yourself over social media and making a plan to hang out will show others that you want to branch out and more people will reach out to you. Without social media, I truly would have not known anyone including my best friend, roommate, or anyone else I currently know. 

As I mentioned before, joining clubs and organizations on campus will help a tremendous amount when it comes to meeting people. Even before I started classes at UM, I applied and became a member of the UM Her Campus Chapter. I applied because I absolutely love writing, but I also applied because I knew it would make for an easier transition coming in with friends and familiar faces.

A student’s college experience is (typically) four years, so why not make the most of it? If anything crosses your mind, go for it! Put yourself out there and make as many memories as possible. By far, that is the best advice I could give. Although a new start may be scary, it only takes a few days to adjust and feel amazing about your decision to transfer to a new school.

Hello! My name is Aly Rubin! I have always had a passion for writing and I am very happy I get to continue that. I grew up in a small town in northern New Jersey. I have no siblings so growing up, it was just me, my parents, and my dog, Nina. Some of my interests include going to the gym, meeting new people, and traveling. I am the co-founder and co-owner of a non-profit organization called Change4Good, which I started in high school with three of my friends. I have always enjoyed giving back to the community and making other people happy.