This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami chapter.

Two years ago, I had the amazing opportunity to foster a puppy through a program called ‘PACT for Animals.’ This program allows families to foster animals for a soldier while he/she is on deployment. Although it is most common to see dogs on their website, you also have the ability to foster cats, bunnies, and more. 

When I was a junior in high school, my mom and I begged my dad to get our family a dog. He absolutely loves dogs, but since I was one a year away from college, he did not want the “15 year commitment.” I then started researching programs to foster a dog. I stumbled across the ‘PACT for Animals’ website and fell in love with it. When I told my parents about PACT, they immediately were on board and thought this was an excellent compromise. 

On the website, we found a 6 month old puppy named Nina who is a Catahoula Leopard Dog mixed with a Pointer. Her owner was looking for a family to foster her for one year while he was deployed to South Korea. The second we saw her picture, we knew this was the dog we wanted to foster.

Long story short, we reached out to her owner, signed the contracts and documents, and took Nina in for the year. As the year came to an end, we were sad to even think of giving her back. While this was a unique situation, her owner reached out and mentioned that he would no longer be able to take care of her and asked if we wanted to adopt her. Of course, we jumped right on this opportunity. 

Like I mentioned before, it is uncommon for the owner to not be able to take care of the puppy anymore. Even though it is sad to think of giving the dog back to their owner, nothing can top the amazing feeling of helping someone who fights for our lives and safety every day. If you are interested in fostering a dog, I suggest checking out this program!

Hello! My name is Aly Rubin! I have always had a passion for writing and I am very happy I get to continue that. I grew up in a small town in northern New Jersey. I have no siblings so growing up, it was just me, my parents, and my dog, Nina. Some of my interests include going to the gym, meeting new people, and traveling. I am the co-founder and co-owner of a non-profit organization called Change4Good, which I started in high school with three of my friends. I have always enjoyed giving back to the community and making other people happy.