It’s On Us Raises Awareness at Sexual Assault Resource Fair

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami chapter.

It’s On Us – UMiami hosted their annual Sexual Assault Resource Fair on the Foote Green this past Monday.  The event drew hundreds of students where they were given a chance to learn about various resources on campus, statistics regarding sexual assault and grab a free slice of pizza at the end.

Students from the School of Nursing lined the walkway passing out a “Pre-Test” to students.  The survey asked students to answer the first six questions prior to going through the booths at the fair.  Students were then asked to obtain signatures from three different booths where they could learn about different resources available to students who have been sexually assaulted.  Booths included representatives from the Sexual Assault Resource Team (SART), the Student Health Cente and the Roxcy Bolton Rape Treatment Center.  After obtaining the signatures, student filled out a “Post Test” to gauge their opinion on the resources presented to them at the fair. The reward, a cheesy slice of Power Pizza.

“More than eight community and campus partners, including the Roxcy Bolton Rape Treatment Center, SART, the Student Health Center, UMPD, and the It’s on Us Student Ambassadors were featured at this year’s resource fair,” said the University of Miami in statement.  “More than 100 individuals attended the fair and engaged in educational activities at the event.”

The event lasted from noon until 3:00 p.m. in conjunction with Pier 21’s Safe Spring Break initiative. According to their website, the It’s On Us campaign is “aimed at ending sexual assault on college campuses. It encourages everyone to take personal responsibility for being a part of the solution to end gender-based violence. We take assistance, support, reporting, and education very seriously in efforts to make a difference here at the U.” Dean Maria Sevilla, the campus’ Title IX Coordinator, heads the organization.  For more information on how you can get involved visit, http://www.miami.edu/sa/index.php/its_on_us.

I am currently a senior broadcast journalism and theatre major at the University of Miami. I love pageants, coffee, and animals.